🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bandwidth

Started by
17 comments, last by Hoffs 22 years, 11 months ago
Hi, Does anyone have any idea of the bandwidth requirements for a MMORPG? If you were running something of a UO/Everquest nature, what sort of Internet communication would be required for, say, 100 users to be connected simultaneously? Hoffs
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Hoffs
Hi,

Does anyone have any idea of the bandwidth requirements for a MMORPG?

If you were running something of a UO/Everquest nature, what sort of Internet communication would be required for, say, 100 users to be connected simultaneously?

Hoffs

Assumming that all the players can logon with a decent connection. My guess would be at least Cable or DSL.
Probably start with an OC-3.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Set some bandwidth targets for the users. From what i hear Everquest uses less than 100 bytes/sec per user. So about 100 users * 100 bytes/sec = 10kB/sec or * 8 = 80 kilobits/sec. Or approximately 2x the maximum bandwidth of a 56k modem. A cable connection can hit 100+kB/sec. But usually mine gets around 50kB/sec. So a cable connection can support approx 500 Everquest users, no bad, charging 10 bucks/user = 5000k! 8^) though the cable companines explicity forbid running servers which is what your doing 8^)

-ddn
Of course, you could always get buisness-class SDSL, which allows for servers to be run (as long as you dont resell the bandwidht ie: commercial websites/procy servers)

There is even an SDSL provider which allows you to have up to 16 bonded 2mbit SDSL lines

--LordKaT
Ok, thanks very much for the information.

Hoffs
I use a local ISP www.inficad.com for my DSL connection. I can go up to a 768k connection at $100 a month. I currently pay 40 for a 256k with a static IP.

Just code your messages really tight (script whenever possible) to keep them small. To test bandwidth usage I use McAfee Firewall (practically free) which logs bytes transfered (send and recieve) for every program using the LAN running on the
computer.

I also have an ingame display which reports the ping time (time to send a message and for the server to respond to it) as well as bytes recieved every second not including overhead.

It''s a good way to see what some problem areas are.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

Where did you get the 100 byte figure? That is too small. My information says Asheron''s Call, EQ, and UO are all around 1 Kbyte/sec bandwidth usage. Which means an 8 Mbit connection would be required to support 1000 users.

Hosting an MMORPG on any cable or DSL line will be an excercise in futility. It''s probably OK for dev work and simple testing, but it''s definitely not going to cut it if you want to actually run a game.
Sorry, but could any of you tell me whats faster then cable/dsl? What can you get thats better? Just curios.
BTW, maybe for a MMORPG(sp?) just starting out maybe a connection that would only take a few hundred users would be enough. Then if you got more people(ie enough cash to justify it) take the server down for a day and stick in the better connect.
"Hosting an MMORPG on any cable or DSL line will be an excercise in futility."

Hmmm...

If you can get enough players where you need more than a cable or DSL for bandwidth reasons, you''re going to have enough interest to get financial support. If not, gimme a call and I''ll publish it ; )

My Cable is average and I could support 50 players. 50 Players...that''s what, 10 times as many as you''d have during development...

G''luck,
-Alamar

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement