🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Lag defeating in action game (eg Q3) ?

Started by
15 comments, last by Jedaye 22 years, 11 months ago
oooh ya one important note of course u need to have a timer sending the state packets, which wont send anything if no entity''s direction, speed, position changed. Or else you would be sending so many dam packets u would have a 6-pack! (anyone who laughed at that... i pity u)

-maniak
Advertisement
Q3 source is on the ID site as i recall.

Anyway, at the moment i am sending out position updates at time intervals. This seems to work oki and there apears to be no slowdown with 5 machines pumping out 30 updates a seccond. I understand about building up a mass of msgs and clogging the pipe with packets but this game will be 8 players max - LAN only. For now i think i will stick to this method having tried exterpolation/prediction among other methods.

Ste
**Ste
My game runs at 5 updates a second, and rotation and course are simply extra/inter polated.

For the Quake 1/2/3 Source I''ll point you to the nice site of KalvinB (Regular poster here): http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com/tricks/

hth,
Almar
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
Thats not the source code for Quake 3, its the SDK you use to make mods. The source code has been released for Quake 1, so you could dig that up and find the networking code there. But the Quake 3 networking code is not available.
You are indeed correct, I should have pointed that fact out myself...however some interesting source is included...for example the function: CG_PredictPlayerState

Ste
**Ste
Oh, I thought the network engine was included with it... anyways, glad it helped you =-)
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
Oh yeah i forgot another technique commonly used. Retroactive event handling, used to determine events based upon a universal time instead of being bias toward low ping players with a purely current event driven model.

Good Luck

-ddn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement