🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Help! DirectPlay Problem

Started by
4 comments, last by YodaCheese 22 years, 10 months ago
I''ve just recently been learning how to program in DirectPlay (I''m a beginner), and I''ve having a weird problem: after the user selects a connection shortcut, the DP dialog boxes that are supposed to come up when a session is joined, enumerated, or created don''t appear. Instead, I get a black screen, the Windows mouse, and if I press "Enter" or "Escape", the program will respond accordingly -- I just can''t see the dialog boxes. The weird thing is, however, that the Modem dialog boxes always show up and work very well. TCP/IP connection or Serial connection boxes I can''t see. I''ve tried many things to solve this problem, including messing around with some DirectDraw functions. Whatever I do, only the modem dialog boxes still ever show up... does anyone know why?
int * Cheese = NULL;
Advertisement
You''re intializing DirectDraw too soon.

Ben

[Icarus Independent | Jump Down The Rabbithole | Tombstone: Vendetta ]
what does that mean? Am I initializing DirectDraw too close to the time of the initialization of DirectPlay?
int * Cheese = NULL;
KB was right, this sounds like a graphic problem,
have you tried to add error handling code during initialization, maybe you should double check your init code,
Well, I''m still a little confused... the replies I have received haven''t helped much, and I''m still having the problem -- along with some new ones...

For example, when I use the modem connection and connect to another computer, the interface freezes after dialing in (while in the modem dialog box -- the program freezes while in the DirectPlay function).

Also, TCP/IP connections work although it doesn''t display the dialog boxes -- we just type in the IP# (blindly) and press enter and it works.
int * Cheese = NULL;
You''re not completing the connection before you intialize DirectDraw.

check the examples and compare source.

Ben

[Icarus Independent | Jump Down The Rabbithole | Tombstone: Vendetta ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement