🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

IPX newbie ...

Started by
5 comments, last by noiser 22 years, 10 months ago
Hi ... Im new to using network programming ... And I wants to learns some basic network programming to a simple dos game ... All I wants to learn is to have 2 pixels ... One that I controls and one that my friend at the other computer controls ... Any help with books, sites, and online help from here would be appreciated ...
Advertisement
If you are truely making a DOS game, you should be able to get the source to DOOM from ftp.idsoftware.com
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
LOL.. i dont think he wants the source for Doom.. hes asking to make a simple 1st networked game ! give him a break

I would love to help my self .. but (Dos wise) im a pascal programmer and im guessing (as everyone is) your a C programmer..

I duno about C for DOS but writting a network game in pascal would be much more hastle than writting one in a windows enviroment (that would be Delphi for me ) the reasons for that are otherwise u will probably find it hard to
a) use ipx unless you find somones ipx unit for dos ;-)
b) draw the graphics .. if u dont have somone elses usits you will need to write ya own which involves assembler and int calls.. i could dig up some simple code for that if u need it

but with windows programming languages u can try to find a directX component (or do ya own) or just use a tcp socket component .. and drawing graphics onto a windows form is basically as simple as blah...pixels[x,y] = colour

just my quick advice

Tim

ps if u are a pascal programmer... that different i can help excep with the ipx stuff in dos :-p
~ Tim
In TurboPascal it isn''t much harder to draw a single pixel!
If you only wnat to draw 2 pixels, PutPixel should be fast enough...
Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,today we're a step onward! Don't klick me!!!
Im using Borland c++ ... Graphics isnt a problem ... Im not new to programming ... Only network programming ... What I thought of doing is a black screen with white borders ... 2 pixels ... One that I control and one that my friend controls ... Then when I moves my pixel I wants to send that info to my friends computer so that he can se it moving ... Tcp/ip or IPX .. I dont care ... All I want is some info of network programming to c++ ... Im planning on making a game for dos (So that I got something to do during my school breaks) ... But later on when I understand OpenGl a little better Im planning on making a Half-life clone game ... :-) ... I got everything planned and ready ... All I need to know is how network programming works ...
Well, burried on one backup cd I should still have IPX-Chat, this is an old simple DOS chat app written in TurboPascal, but you should be able to figure out how to do it in C++ too! If you''re interested, I could try finding it and mail it to you..

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!
Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,today we're a step onward! Don't klick me!!!
A while back a me and a mate wrote a complex chat client for dos, we were using IPX but the problem was it only ever worked on one network (Windows 95 systems on a Novell based network) every other network didn''t work (I have to admit I didn''t try too hard) any way the way we did it was using an interrupt. If I remember correctly it was 0x14 (actually 0x14 might be serial but in the interrupt list its labeled as IPX or something, pretty sure its 0x14 have a look).

The one other strange problem we had was the call to the interrupt to see if IPX was available always said it wasn''t even thought it was.

I can send you source but there are a few problems:
1) un-finished, very buggy code.
2) don''t even know if the current state works
3) big project (a few thousand line, most of which will be useless i.e. room, user, window, editbox, scrollbar management)
4) again Turbo Pascal (easy enough to work out the interrupt calls)

I think all you need is an list of interrupts and maybe some very simple code that works to learn from. I think all you do is build a data structure (a packet) then call the interrupt with the address of the packet then pretty much do it backwards at the other end

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement