🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Dos network

Started by
2 comments, last by Nicon 22 years, 9 months ago
I would like to know how I create a dos char server/clint in DOS. A very simpel one, connect to IP,computername, type in text. Something like that. I would like Tutorials more than someone answer in code in here. Using Borland C++ 5.02 and DJGPP.
Advertisement
It is not possible to access any windows networking services under dos, with the exception of 32-bit console mode applications.
CorsairK8@Fnemesis.comLinux Debian/GNU RulezThis is my signitory!C Is Tha Best!
And you say that why?

I''ve seen a TCP/IP layer for DOS, and used the ping tool that came with it... it worked fine. If one was to write for the TCP layer under DOS they could access Windows TCP sockets no worries.

Also, there are IPX layers for DOS used in many old games, some with source available (ie Doom, Quake). If the Windows server app is using IPX and not TCP, then that could be used.
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
That requires a whole TCP/IP stack for DOS, which wouldn''t touch the Windows ones. I remember using (not programming for one) one about, damn, 9 years ago, but Window took over shortly afterwards.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement