🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Note to Lost Logic

Started by
9 comments, last by wazoo69 22 years, 9 months ago
Hey, (1) Just wanted to say Kudos to you for the Multiplayer Game Programming book...excellently written and I was FINALLY able to learn (properly) how to use DirectPlay8.0! (2) Just a comment. On any of the samples, or even applications that I''ve begun to create using some of your code as a guidance, I ran into a scenerio on my win98/2k boxes where the dpnsvr thread wouldn''t die after quitting ALL directplay code....If I didn''t kill it in the task manager, it would give me strange results the NEXT time I''d try to run a sample (or my game server)... I did some hunting on the DirectX developer mailing list archives, and I came across a note from an MS employee that you should call CancelAsyncOperation before calling the close function on either your dplay client or server interface... (he mentioned the info is in the DirectX8_Docs_Readme.txt file of the /docs/directx8 directory of the SDK) I tried it out, and it seemed to do the trick for me! Just passing this along in case someone else has been having a few weird things happen with DirectPlay8... Erik
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
Advertisement
quote:
>> dpnsvr.exe will stay around for 10 minutes after the last host is
>> closed. You can terminate it manually with dpnsvr /kill.

www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
Thanks for the tip! I must have missed that.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

wazoo69,

I''ve had the same problem for a while now and had been unable to figure out why the thread sometimes would not shut down. The problem is only noticable when the debugger is running and I have found on some machines that it does not occur at all. Under normal situation windows (2000 anyway) seems to time-out the thread and clean it up once the application has shut down.

I''ve only noticed this problem occuring on the server todate, but hopefully this will cure it.

I have all so found a similar situation when I forgot to release received messages.

cheers

LostLogic: No prob man. Just trying to help out...I never even NOTICED that readme.txt file before...sheesh.

Ajoling: I must''ve missed that part of the docs...thanks for pointing it out..

FVector4: Yeah the same thing happened to me on win2k (I forgot to clear received messages as well.. ) Hopefully this little function clears at least some of those problems up a bit..hehe

Wazoo
It isn''t in the docs I believe... I got it from one of the Microsoft DX8 programmers =-) (microsoft.directx.networking, or something)
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
Grrr, I tried this today and it just caused everything to go bad... NTDLL''s spewing their guts everywhere.

Darn... I had hoped it would solve the problem.

I called:

CancelAsyncOperation( NULL, DPNCANCEL_ALL_OPERATIONS )

in an attempt to cancel any outstanding async operations - oh dear it never liked that one bit!

Any ideas?

FVector4...umm do NOT use the DPNCANCEL_ALL_OPERATIONS flag..

I checked the newgroup post again from the MS employee and he mentioned that they had nothing but problems with this one..if I recall correctly, he mentioned that you had to explicitly cancel each ASYNC operation individually...(you know NOW would be a good time for me to actually post a link to that article....

hang on, I''ll dig around for it..)

Wazoo
try out this link and see if it works

Dplay discussion link

(Wow someone who actually posts a link as a true link!)

Wazoo
Thanks, I believe I''ve never seen this forum thing. Every DirectPlay resource is welcome

btw, I''m not sure..but i believe the Cancel_ALL thing works fine for me under Windows 2000 (Or it''s just the VB DX version that supports it, while the C version doesn''t)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement