🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

About LostLogic's book!

Started by
22 comments, last by leggyguy 22 years, 9 months ago
Hi. I have been programming in DX for about a year. I have no problem with it, and have a couple of decent little programs. But my latest project is being built with a view of being online playable. And while I haven''t had any problem with any other part of DX, DirectPlay is really confusing me. I think it is perhaps because I have absolutely no experience of network programming. Considering my position then, (good C++ experience, some DX draw, input, sound, show, expereince, no network experience) would anybody suggest this is the right book for me? I need something to steer me gently through DirectPlay. The MSDN goes over my head! So above all else, it must be for novice of network programming. Also, I live in the UK. Anyone know of the availability over here?
Advertisement
IMHO if you only have enough money for ONE prima book, THIS is the one to get!

I was in your position as well, where I pretty much understood how to do stuff except for network programming...

Now thanks to LostLogic, I''m well on my way to understanding a WHOLE lot more..

Erik
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
Thanks for the glowing recommendation Erik, Im glad you liked it.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Leggyguy,

I also live in the UK and I have recently purchased this book from amazon.co.uk at a cost of £46.50, including p&p. Expecting it to be the solution to all my multiplayer problems.

Personally I consider it a waste of nearly 50 quid. In terms of its actual multiplayer content, there rather disapointingly seems to be very little. Esspecially with respect to the overall weightyness of the book. It contains nothing that you can''t get for free of the internet or with the SDK.

On its side and in defence of Todd (Lostlogic). It is an "EXCELLENT BEGINNERS" book. It is basically a book that introduces games programming and has a good description of all the basics Direct X, Graphics, Rendering, Input and just happens to be the only book I know off that introduces or talks about "multiplayer" programming.

But if your an advanced or above average programmer or your looking to answer specific multiplayer issues personally I wouldn''t bother, save yourself 50 quid and use the internet.

Sorry Lostlogic
I do agree with you in that it does not include all of the advanced topics dealing with network coding. If you are already an advanced programmer with Dplay experience then you may not learn much from it.

My intention with the book is to teach someone with little or no knowledge of network programming, how to implement multiplayer aspects in their games. It is not really intended for the networking guru to use. That is for an advanced book.

But, I do disagree with you about being able to find all of the information presented on the Internet (in a readily usable form.) Sure, there are many examples on the Internet, but I find many of them to be lacking in many ways. The same argument holds true for almost any book.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

Oh yeah, the book we are talking about is Multiplayer Game Programming.

Follow my link to see more info about it.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com

Strange that it''s not in your forum FAQ Lost Logic...

Erik
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
I think it is a good intro book for this subject. However, as FVector mentions, it doesnt contain many advanced features for more knowledgable network programmers. After reading the book, im ready for more muliplayer game books.

So, lostlogic, have you considered starting(or already started) another book which is 500+ pages of juicy advanced multiplayer programming, now that you have covered all that win32, intro graphics, and intro DX8 stuff?? please say yes.
Lost Logic:

I .. need... OpenGL... multiplayer ... (dies of dehydration...)

Isn''t anyone going to come out with an OpenGL Multiplayer Game Programming book!?
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
what does it matter that the graphics api is directx or opengl, the network game programming part SHOULD BE THE SAME!! It makes no sense really, your mixing 2 different subjects!

Therefore, get a book that teachs opengl, like OPENGL GAME PROGRAMMING, and let lostlogic JUST TEACH US THE NETWORKING... instead of waisting another half of a book going over opengl material others already have written about.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement