🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DirectPlay or WinSock?

Started by
4 comments, last by kohoy 22 years, 9 months ago
Hello there... For making a Online RPG or Space game. Do you suggest DirectPlay or WinSock? why?
eXtreme newbie!
Advertisement
Winsock API

It''s the fastest, and that''s the only thing that matters with Online RPGs
I want to help with the making of Everquest 2.Everquest: The best game ever(quest)
Are there any Network Library that uses winsock and is designed for game development? or any source of information about winsocks?
Thanks
eXtreme newbie!
Yeah, DirectPlay is a game library built upon Winsock. Personally, I use Dplay. With the release of Dplay8, it is really fast now.

But then again, I program in both sockets and Dplay. I would try them both out and decide which you like best.

LostLogic
www.lostlogic.com
Author, Multiplayer Game Programming

LostLogicwww.GamerOutfit.comXBox 360 Community Games Reviews and NewsExisled - 2D/3D Shooter for XBox 360

I don''t think you can seriously argue about CPU speed. The main advantage of DPlay is that it saves you some work. The two advantages of Winsock are that a) you''ve got finer control over what is actually sent over the network. This might give you better network performance in some cases (not many tho) b) it''s portable.

cu,
Prefect

One line of sourcecode says more than a thousand words.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy
quote: Original post by Prefect
b) it's portable.

This should be enough justification for anybody... Sockets programming is a NECESSARY SKILL in the real world. I cringe when I realize to how many programmers I've had to teach basic TCP/IP and sockets.

For the forseeable future the only change to sockets is going to be IPv6 support, and WinSock already supports IPSec like most other socket implementations.

------------------
-WarMage
...for(x=0;x++;x<1000) word += word; (picture >= word) ? cout<<"is worth" : cout<<"is not";...

Edited by - WarMage on September 18, 2001 4:28:25 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement