Create a "newbie" team for experience

Started by October 22, 2011 04:44 PM
32 comments, last by bbell 12 years, 9 months ago
Team name:

No team name as of yet

Project name:

No projects currently

Brief description:

Basically, What I want to do is to find like minded people that are at around the same skill level as me and basically build an idea from scratch. It will be purely for enhancing our level of programming skills and to learn new things. And possibly move on to bigger and better things.

Target aim:

I plan to create a team of hobbyist programmers that are trying to get better and be able to break into the industry. It is purely an "on the side" type of deal, we have a meeting on skype for example, and just throw around some ideas of some game we would like to create. And just start doing it. No pressure, no anything, Just working in a team and learning. There is no problem with going inactive for a couple moths or whatever, That is the benefit here. We are not necessarily trying to complete a project!

Compensation:

Just experience I suppose. But who knows, perhaps in the future we get to know each other very well and end up creating an awesome game! :)

Technology:

The languages I currently have used are Java,c++,c#. I have only really made 1 proper game, which was a scrolling space shooter in 2D using C++ and SDL. At the moment I am learning XNA which seems pretty powerful for creating games! Again, it does not really matter about the technology though, if you are a new-ish games programmer and want to try working in a team with no strings then I think this is for you.

Talent needed:

Anyone really, If a rookie artist wants to get some of his work published in a game, a composer/writer etc. Just remember though, Don't expect that you will see anything you submit in a game anytime soon! You are welcome to just come and throw ideas about. Mainly though, this is about learning programming, so that is my main focus.

Team structure:
These are the people currently Interested, I am going to add their skypes here so you can all add them aswell.

[color="#FF0000"]EDIT//////////////////////

SKYPES:
shawn.dundas
leadheadcrushermachine
soulmen1991

Don't have a website. Will probably just use an IRC client or Skype to chat.

Contacts:

my Skype name: ravin.dave
I would normally be online after 6 o clock.

[color="#FF0000"]EDIT 2
I have created an IRC channel. Join at #hobbyists @ AfterNet. If you do not feel like downloading an IRC client, here is a webchat app you can use:
http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=AfterNET

Just enter hobbyists into the channel name, and whatever nickname you would like.

Previous Work by Team:
None

Additional Info:

Not sure if this was the correct place to put this topic. Sorry if it isn't.

ANY
Sounds like my kind of team! lol
I'm a learning composer and I would love to join your team if you'd have me. I've been hoping something like this would come up as I would love the experience,
Advertisement
If you plan on gaining much development experience, then you're going to need a lot more than just programmers. Designers, Artists, Programmers, and Writers all view a project differently and add different philosophical points to game development. It's important that you understand each profession thoroughly to gain the most out of the experience itself, as well as the end product.
I may be able to help. I may be an able writer for the games, plot and text-based-dialogue wise (I am fussy with grammar). But I might have a bit of trouble getting a Skype account.:( I'll see what I can do about that.
I would be definitely interested! I'm in university for computer science right and know c/c++, Photoshop, flash, a bit of 3ds Max and would really like to improve my knowledge of game development skills.
Uhhh, looks interesting. Could I join the team?
I may be able to do the following things:
-Program in C# (which I would like to improve.), where by now I have a 2D engine make up with Farseer Physics Engine, and Mercury Particle Engine, and my own drawing and logic code. But I would like to be in a team to learn with others, which is easier that just by myself.
-Program in C++. In this my knowledge is more basic, enough to understand how everything works, but not to do everything from scratch. I would like to improve this also. My most notable projects have been a multi-user async IP-based chat, and a task manager (start programs, open files, shut down, etc, at a specific time). And also a keylogger and a remoto control software (some people call it spyware...xD but only with learning purposes, no harm done.
-Make textures. My better ones are of the style of Braid, also called realistic painting.

Also I know a bit of 3D modeling with Blender and zBrush, sound composing, and video editing with Adobe After Effects. I'm not so interested in these ones.

If you are interested in having me in your team just send me a PM here or drop me an email at dr.house.dev[at]gmail[dot]com
Advertisement
I am an experienced writer if you would like my aid. I am in the process of writing a book, have written several screenplays, and can compose, as well as currently learning C# programming. If you'd like my services, please contact me at lukewall73@bellsouth.net, or look me up on FB under Daniel L Wall. I have red hair.
<----HammerTime!!!---->
If you want a writer, I could do game design, quests, dialogue, story, lore, descriptions, and editing. I have some examples of my writing here: http://nerdragestory....wordpress.com/. Currently a 3rd year English major at the University of Akron, in Akron OH. I've never written for a video game before but I would love to give it a shot and get some experience. My closest experience is designing and writing adventures for DnD sessions.

email: jedimasterash@hotmail.com

twitter: @jimminyjojo
If you are still looking for a programmer, I'm currently a freshman cs major with oop knowledge in java but I could pick up other languages/topics if need be.

cbb692@yahoo.com
Sorry for the lack of replies, Anybody that would like to join, you can just join, there is no need to ask me. I may create an IRC channel which may be alot easier to do group sessions, and that way anyone can join at any time. I will update my OP with a channel if you think it will be a good idea.

First post updated with Skypes of people interested.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement