🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

network examples?

Started by
11 comments, last by barazor 22 years, 9 months ago
Not really 8^)

Developement has really slowed down, due to other factors. We just don''t have the time or moneny to devote to maintaining the servers, upgrading the game like we want too, and push it. It''s a great test bed for networking technolgoies I wanted to try, though. It''s proven some principles about how to build robust realtime networking games, which I''m going to use later. Perhaps a fighting game, I think i can compenstate for the lag to actually make a true internet multiplayer fighting game.

I might write a postmortem on it, once we finsih.

Good Luck on your endeavaor!

-ddn
Advertisement
Shame... looks so nice.

quote:
Perhaps a fighting game, I think i can compenstate for the lag to actually make a true internet multiplayer fighting game.

I''ve wondered about this often, and always discouraged people to try it. But I doubt that you can manage it, if someone has a ping above 100ms...(eg: how do you block an ''attack'' if it first took 100ms to get to you..). If you can, then you''re an awesome programmer (even more than now )

Almar
www.persistentrealities.com for Inline ASM for VB, VB Fibre, and other nice code samples in C++, PHP, ASP, etc.<br/>Play Yet Another Laser Game!<br/>
Well you can''t initate the move immediately on the origininating client as that would give the other player a 100ms time deficit to react to the move, btw from my study of most fighting games even the shortest move to hit takes about 200ms. But using the projected event which i explained above you can initate a move at 1/2 ping (in this case 50 ms). That is the predicted time at which the event has reached the 2nd client. So if your timmer algos are good, and the threshold for standard deviation of ping is within bounds you can use that to cut lag in half. This combined with the nature of fighting games, predictable hit responses and well known timming for actions, it should be doable for even a modem player (300ms ping) to have a good expereince.

3D fighting games like Segas Virtual Fighter have even more tolerant timming, proably 2x of the 2d side scroller fighting games. So it would be even easier to make those fighting games. A massive multiplayer Bushdio Blade might be fun 8^)

Good Luck!

-ddn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement