🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Server spy program

Started by
14 comments, last by xtrmntr 22 years, 9 months ago
Hi there, It''s been awhile since i''ve had time to work on a personal project and since I''m learning win32/MFC on a pretty close level I was considering writing a server spy program for games like q3, tribes2, etc. I have the UI framework already in place to show the list of servers, a spot to show player specific info, and a spot to show server specific info. The only problem is that i don''t know how to get all this information. :/ I believe I have to get it through the q3 master servers and/or the gamespy master servers (which i believe use the previous). But how do i go about this? Are there any resources that explain how to "talk" to these servers and how to translate the info you receive from them? I know i will be using sockets for this which is something that i''m going to be learning as i go but any form of help would really be appreciated. thanks!
Advertisement
no one?
Writing a front end for such a thing is a 15 minute project.

Coding it is called hacking and I don''t think many are here to help you out. Especially when you''re trying to break into a big company site. There''s these little things called laws that get you in jail or fined for doing such things.

You would have to get the networking code from the actual games to do it and that has been removed from the released code for good reason.

Ben

[Icarus Independent | Jump Down The Rabbithole | Tombstone: Vendetta ]
who said anything about hacking? There are plenty of free lance server spy programs out there that use those servers... thats what they''re there for. You think gamespy pays ID to ping there master servers? I highly doubt it. All it is is a database of server ips and ports. Giving me a "Sorry I don''t know" answer would have been just fine. I found the info I need.

PS. The UI is definitely NOT a 15 minute project when all the UI components are custom made by me.

Thanks anyway.
Easy there KalvinB, he isn''t trying to hack into anything He is just trying to figure out the protocol to:

1. query the master server for a server list.
2. query each server in turn based on the gamespy protocol.

[email=direwolf@digitalfiends.com]Dire Wolf[/email]
www.digitalfiends.com
15 minutes...that is fast..I''m not sure I believe it though.

-------------Ban KalvinB !
Unfortunately most games don''t conform to the gamespy protocol, Half-Life being a good example. Also the available info on the protocols is sketchy from what I''ve been able to find. You can find info on the protocol used by Unreal/UT (very similar to the Gamespy protocol) on the Unreal Tech Page. Then it is only a case of gathering queries from the master servers and querying every server on the list.

Unfortunately I don''t have any more specific''s on the protocols.
Thanks for a point in the right direction meh. I found something at http://www.quake3world.com/forums/ in the modifications forum that explains to a degree what needs to happen to query the q3 master servers... as far as the gamespy ones I''m still looking. I''d rather use there server instead of writing a whole seperate section specifically for each and every game I wish to support. Being able to query through them would be a big help as I''d imagine it would be a lot easier to sort through specific game servers/game types/etc.

thanks again
I learn something new every day.

What''s GameSpy''s policy on using their server information for your own use?

"UI in 15"
Depends on your experience and the scope. Form follows function basically.

Ben
A non-trivial application, coded in VB or MFC, cannot be put together in 15 minutes. You might be able to prototype a UI in 15 minutes with a RAD tool (VB/C++ Builder) but even that could be stretching it for something similiar to GameSpy''s interface.

Dire Wolf
www.digitalfiends.com
[email=direwolf@digitalfiends.com]Dire Wolf[/email]
www.digitalfiends.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement