🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Server spy program

Started by
14 comments, last by xtrmntr 22 years, 9 months ago
No kidding dire.wolf about the prototyping in 15. Just because u got a UI doesnt mean the damn app is gonna work.

As for queries, i think you need to be careful. If id software, UT, or Valve lets everyone query there master servers, then go ahead with the project.

BUT, if you gonna leech off gamespy''s database, then i would be carefull. Querying a free Q3 master server and making your own game launcher is fine, but using Gamespys work, is a different story!!

So, make sure you get your query info from free game servers and not a company that provides a service of showing all servers in a neat UI for the gamer!
Advertisement
I know someone who works over at Gamespy, so I was gonna ask her about the legality of getting info from their servers. I was able to download the source code to someones serverspy program that actually used the gamespy servers to retrieve info about the game servers for each game type.

thnx for the input guys
That''s what I was saying. Putting together a UI in 15 can be done. It''s the actual coding that takes days.

Ben

[Icarus Independent | Jump Down The Rabbithole | Tombstone: Vendetta ]
I suppose if I didn''t care about how things looked I could have fired up the MSVC wizard and threw together a crappy splitter window with some listboxes in them but that isn''t a challange.
So, if you asked a gamespy employee, please tell us the legality of the situation...dont leave the thread hangin like this.
I don''t think Gamespy would mind you querying thier master servers. Although they don''t run them as such, Gamespy 3D queries external servers to gather server lists (eg. East/West WON Servers for HL). As for having to write a different query for each game there''s no real way around it unless they all conform to the same protocol, which they don''t.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement