[WANTED]Programmers & Designers for creating game engine

Started by December 29, 2011 04:10 AM
9 comments, last by howie_007 12 years, 8 months ago
Team name:
Noah's Ark Studios

Project name:
ARK Engine

Brief description:
Basically, I would like help in creating a high-end game engine. I want it to contain a lot of features similar to UDK & CryEngine. I also want it to be way more customizable than other engines.

Target aim:
I want it to have a payment program like what Epic Games & Crytek do.

Compensation:
I will pay a certain amount per month, but you must negotiate it with me.

Technology:
Made for PC, Mac & Linux. Use any means necessary to make it powerful.

Talent needed:
Due to losing hard earned cash to an unknown freelancer, I can only accept people with background references. They also must be in the United States because I tend to ask for updates and so. Plus I need people to remind me about payments each month in case I forget.

Team structure:
None. I will however provide information on what should go in the game engine.

smashnation.net (be sure to link to the forums for discussion)

Contacts:
[email="immortalsimman@hotmail.com"]immortalsimman@hotmail.com[/email]

Previous Work by Team:
None.

Additional Info:
There will be major programming languages for the engine like C, C++, C#, Javascript, Python, etc.

Importable interface skins,

Widely supported formats: wav, mp3, obj, 3ds, lwo, c4d, etc.

More to come when discussed. It's kind of like a high-end game engine made for the people.

If you can't say anthing nice or about this subject, please don't say anything at all.
Can we assume you're a programmer yourself and will be doing some of the work, or are you looking to contract someone to do all of the programming for you based on your ideas?

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement
i have to applaud you for actually giving up front payment for the development of this engine you envision, most of the people who come here with project idea's tend to be of the profit share or equity base type. It's good to see someone offering actual payment for a change.
On the other hand... I cannot look in your wallet to size up your budget, but paying a whole dev team to create a game engine that rivals or exceeds the cryengine or UDK in functionality will not be cheap. Recreating UDK will not be a matter of weeks of months of development; i am quite sure that a team of game industry professionals spent multiple tens of manyears working on UDK. This will costs many millions if you are going to pay your team standard market rates. Do you have the financial backing to do this?

Also, please do not forget that one of the most important things you'll need for your engine to become popular is proper documentation of the entire thing. In depth API documentation, tutorials, example files, and so on. You might want to consider adding a couple of good technical writers to your team.

i have to applaud you for actually giving up front payment for the development of this engine you envision, most of the people who come here with project idea's tend to be of the profit share or equity base type. It's good to see someone offering actual payment for a change.
On the other hand... I cannot look in your wallet to size up your budget, but paying a whole dev team to create a game engine that rivals or exceeds the cryengine or UDK in functionality will not be cheap. Recreating UDK will not be a matter of weeks of months of development; i am quite sure that a team of game industry professionals spent multiple tens of manyears working on UDK. This will costs many millions if you are going to pay your team standard market rates. Do you have the financial backing to do this?

Also, please do not forget that one of the most important things you'll need for your engine to become popular is proper documentation of the entire thing. In depth API documentation, tutorials, example files, and so on. You might want to consider adding a couple of good technical writers to your team.

I shall have tons of dollars when my first game is published.

Right now I can only pay so much.

@jbadams I want to contract programmers based on my ideas.
Your first game is the smash nation game that is talked about on your forum right? You might do well to put a reference to it in your "Previous work by team" pararaph; Showing you have expertise in the art of game development might influence a developers decision to work for you in a positive way.
Speaking of the forums, in your post you say that there's a discussion on your forum about this ARK engine? I must be a dummy, because am afraid i can't find this discussion on your forum. Can it only be seen by registered users?

Your first game is the smash nation game that is talked about on your forum right? You might do well to put a reference to it in your "Previous work by team" pararaph; Showing you have expertise in the art of game development might influence a developers decision to work for you in a positive way.
Speaking of the forums, in your post you say that there's a discussion on your forum about this ARK engine? I must be a dummy, because am afraid i can't find this discussion on your forum. Can it only be seen by registered users?

Misunderstanding. I just gave the link to discuss things on my forums.
Advertisement

I want it to contain a lot of features similar to UDK & CryEngine. I also want it to be way more customizable than other engines.

I just want to gauge the scope of this project a bit, could you elaborate on this part?
What kind of differences between your proposed new engine and UE/CryEngine are we talking here?
What kind of limitations found in UE/CryEngine do you intend to address with this new engine?

Is that game intended to be developed by the people you're recruiting in this post or is this a separate project intended to fund this project?
Remco van Oosterhout, game programmer.
My posts are my own and don't reflect the opinion of my employer.

[quote name='Mastermind89' timestamp='1325131844' post='4897697']
I want it to contain a lot of features similar to UDK & CryEngine. I also want it to be way more customizable than other engines.

I just want to gauge the scope of this project a bit, could you elaborate on this part?
What kind of differences between your proposed new engine and UE/CryEngine are we talking here?
What kind of limitations found in UE/CryEngine do you intend to address with this new engine?

Is that game intended to be developed by the people you're recruiting in this post or is this a separate project intended to fund this project?
[/quote]

1. The ARK Engine will have customizable interface skins (You can use .jpg or so.)

2. You know how UE & CryENGINE don't allow common formats? That is one limitation I would like to address.

3. The first game i'm going to publish is a seperate project intended to fund the ARK Engine Project.

1. The ARK Engine will have customizable interface skins (You can use .jpg or so.)

You mean the interface of the "editor" that comes with the engine should be skinnable? With jpegs? I honestly don't really see this as a huge selling point, but maybe i'm misstaken.Can you expand a bit on this?

Are the jobs you are offering full time only? Or can weekend warriors also join this project?
Can fulltime developers expect to be paid a sufficient payment to support their families until your first game starts making tons of dollars, or should they make financial arrangements for themselves (living off savings for exmaple) untill the influx of capital from your first game arrives?
I am willing to have flexible work times for everyone, including weekend warriors.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement