Nickotopia(needs new name!) - Looking for story writers/pixel artists

Started by
13 comments, last by MorganCrow 12 years, 6 months ago

Project name
logo.png
A name change is going to happen, but we'd need a story first for that. We have a working game, just no story and no good name yet.

Brief description

Nickotopia is a browser-based MMORPG written in PHP with MySQL. The core gameplay is to explore zones, fight monsters, do quests and earn a ranking through the PvP system. The game is currently at revision 0.2 Alpha with 3 playable zones, 5 working quests, several unique monsters and a boss. See for yourself: http://www.nickotopia.com/

Target aim
Freeware. Nickotopia is a hobby project and has no intentions of any profits. The site runs without ads and I get absolutely no revenue.

Compensation
As I have no revenue myself and the game is non-profit, I cannot offer any compensation other than credit you for your work, links to your website, and other possible things you may think off. Normally you would be included on the credits list: http://www.nickotopia.com/about.php

Technology
Any platform capable of running a browser.

Talent needed:

>Story writer
Tasks: Creation of a compelling story. IMPORTANT: needs an icon (=mascot)! With an icon I mean something that people can remember afterwards and that can preferrably be clearly seen in a 16x16 icon (used for favicon, though I understand if it's too difficult). This doesn't mean you have to make something graphically, but you should clearly be able to define what the icon in your story is. It would be cool if you could design a story that references/resembles someone or something that can be later put in various occasions (billboards, icons, the theme of the site)
For example: check out the current site and you'll see there's somesort of monster that represents the site as an icon. You'll see this icon comes shows up regularly and is the game's mascot !

As for the story itself, it should be fantasy related and not too complicated (yet not too simple). That's all, you're free to go how you like. You should get a feel of the game first, what the classes are, the different elements, the style of the game, etc. The gameplay is to stay unchanged.

And if you feel like going on a killing spree, think of a new name! Logically the name would have the fit the story. So I guess it makes sense to think of a story first.

>2D Pixel Artist
Tasks: Creation of 32x32 character sprites. There are currently 6 classes, and each would need 8 sprites for their movement.
Example: 0.png1.png32.png33.png64.png65.png96.png97.png
Experience needed: None, the art just needs to fit the theme.

>2D Pixel Artist
Tasks: Same as above: more creation of sprites, however this time we'd need NPC and monster sprites. We'd need 8 sprites for movement.
Example: 514.png516.png550.png552.png538.png540.png526.png528.png

>2D Pixel Artist
Tasks: Creation of 64x64 Boss mob images. These can be anything depending on the theme (e.g. Earth worm for desert zones, or a big troll for caves, or yeti in snow zones, you get the picture) We'd need also 8 of each of them for the movement.
Example: 20001.png20002.png20003.png20004.png

>2D Pixel Artist
Tasks: Creation of scenery sprites (can be any size between 32x32 and 512x512) (e.g. plants, rocks, trees, houses...)
Example: 90001.png90009.png90033.png

Obviously, if you'd like to do other stuff or have some recommendations let me know!

Team structure

Myself
Time involved: +6 years

jazdevi
Time involved: 1 month

Website
http://www.nickotopia.com/

Interested?
If you have skype, add me: janssen.n
Or if you're the email type of person: [email="nikke@nickotopia.com"]nikke@nickotopia.com[/email]
You can also PM or reply here.

Previous Work by Team
http://www.indiegame...agnello_ni.html
http://playthisthing.com/ultimul

Additional Info
Again, if you'd like to do other stuff or have some suggestions let me know!

Screenshots
screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

Feedback
ANY

Ironbane MMO.
[size=1]It's so cool I don't even need to give you a link for it.
Advertisement
I have had idea to make something like this for some time. I actually would like to be an official tester, plus... story writer. I have wrote time and time again in many posts, I do believe I have talent in creative writing and world creation so I might as well help with level design as well. :) Contact me on Skype at: AssaultH3ro911

Sincerely,
Michael
Thanks, I contacted you on Skype! :)

If other are still interested in the graphics aspect, please don't hesitate to contact me!
Ironbane MMO.
Hey! While your game looks quite promising and exciting I feel like I have to let you know that nickelodeon owns the trademark nickutopia. While not quite the same if you reach a level of success under the nickotopia name especially with your orange logo don't be surprised if Viacom responds negatively. While situations like this are always unfortunate it's better to know now that later down the road. Of course it's not the game that has the issue but I warn you Viacom is litigation happy and won't settle with a cease and desist. They'll skip right to a financial suit and they'll be sure to ruin you. Not trying to flame, as a fellow indie dev I just want to help before the community sees another rising game fall to the big corps.
I am a freelance web dev if you need any help I may be able to do some stuff pm me
so is this game receiving a full graphical makeover, or what?

so is this game receiving a full graphical makeover, or what?

I'm not quite following you, please elaborate.
Ironbane MMO.
Are you recruiting artists to completely redo the graphics, or recruiting artists to add to art resources?
Hi! I'm very interested in helping you with this project. I am a 2D artist and would love to help with NPCs, monster sprites and possibly bosses. Please contact me at charlie.pettis@ymail.com if you are interested. Thanks!

Are you recruiting artists to completely redo the graphics, or recruiting artists to add to art resources?

Probably a complete redo. We're also changing the name and story pretty soon.

Thanks Char466, I contacted you by e-mail!
Ironbane MMO.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement