🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tutorial On Real-Time Netcode

Started by
1 comment, last by Galileo430 22 years, 9 months ago
While writeing my game loop. It came to my attention that I really didn''t know how to send messages to discribe the player. I mean should I delay all input till certain times and then transmit the data? Or should I just take snapshots of what the player is doing every X Milliseconds. So I was wondering. Any tutorials on Real-Time Netcode on the net? Useing Winsock prefably?
------------------------------------------------------------I wrote the best video game ever, then I woke up...
Advertisement
I suggest learning about Winsock first. In terms of when your game sends info over the net, I would basicly check every frame for changes in the game state data and then send those updates (like location, health, whatever) to the client/server if needed.
Realtime netcode is almost an oxymoron, it certainly is with regard to TCP/IP.

You should take a snapshot every 100ms or so, and send it off.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement