🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Major Game Business Questions

Started by
3 comments, last by Sage13 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi, this is Sage from Team Morning Star, Inc. As some of you might know, we at Morning Star are starting to setup the systems, people and information nessesary to get a small game developer up and running by 2011. That''s 10 years of hard work from a fairly decent amount of people. Anyway, as it is, I am the one in charge of creating this gaming division, as far as my back ground goes, I have been designing games since I was 8, advocate player etc, etc. I know many, many details about the systems, equpment, personnel, publishers etc. needed for basic operation. My question lies more on the day to day activities of the President of the division. I am finding persons in the business feild who could be considered compentant in business managment, but as far as the gaming industry goes, what exactly does the President do besides follow the general resolutions from the board(which is another company in our case)? I am aware that under the companies BI-laws we can make this position to whatever we want them to do, but I''m interesting in knowing the actually things that some Presidents in the gaming industry are up to. Press conferences, meeting with other Company heads etc. This may seem like a very odd question being that I am currently the President of Morning Star itself, but keep in mind that even though we are a very well established busienss, I am in fact only 19, and my experences have not yet reached to this field in my position. Also I was wondering if anyone knew any good resources that could provide up to date information about industry avarage job salaries of Producers, Game Designers, Artists, Programmer, Art Techs, etc. After the events of this last past month, I''m not sure how the industry has been effected. Another area I am seeking help in is the Markerting side. I''m aware that publishers usually have this covered but as part of our system, marketing will be covered as a seperate staff for the gaming division. Where can I find standard marketing duties, positions , salaries in the gaming industry? Thank you -Sage13 President/Ceo Team Morning Star, Inc. "Re-Designing the Human Race" www.PlanetMorningStar.com
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Sage13
Hi, this is Sage from Team Morning Star, Inc.

I''m surprised that you filed for incorporation without knowing this kind of stuff already.

Anyway, you kind find salary information for various jobs at www.salary.com. Salaries aren''t really that different between gaming and industry at large.

Thanx.
Actually, Team Morning Star, Inc. filed as a C corporation due to our first idustry which was the clothing market. That has been managed accordingly becasue I also took the time to seek out responsibilites exclusive to that field. I''m just expanding my basic knowlage, I know I can''t know everything, and I''ll never assume. That''s why I keep in close quarters with places like Gamedev.net.
As for the gaming division, I''m finding that an L.L.C. is the most financialy benificial for it.

Thank you again for the site.

-Sage13
President/CEO
Team Morning Star, Inc.

"Re-Designing the Human Race"

www.PlanetMorningStar.com
Gamasutra.com just had an entire article about salaries in the game development industry.

LLC is a good choice. It offers many tax advantages, as well as having a simple structure. A major drawback here is that the life of the company cannot exceed 30 years, but that probably won''t be a problem in your case.

As for he responsibilites of "the president":
Assuming that in your case the president is the highest ranking member of the company, there really is no point in assigning responsibilities to this position. As you are a new and small company, you will be doing just about everything related to the company''s affairs. Only when you reach a certain stage in your company''s life will you need to hire additional people to handle, for instance, your technology systems, thereby elimiatingthis from your list of responsibilities.
--------------------Help Needed!Turn-based 20th century strategy wargameTitle still to be determined
Thanx.
by chance I happen to find the arctical when I was searching for game salaries.

-Sage13

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement