🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Voxeliens

Started by
1 comment, last by killabi 12 years, 1 month ago
I did an image of the day for this project a few months ago, but I feel justified in doing another one as the game is now finished! From the home page:

[indent=1]"Voxeliens is a retro-style arcade shooter for the PC, in which you defend your planet from waves of descending enemies. The gameplay is simple and fast paced as you battle your way through different environments using a variety of powerups."

But as this is a developer oriented site I'll mainly focus on technical details. We are building on our open source PolyVox library which is used for the destructible landscape. The size of this volume is 128x128x32 and it's broken up into chunks of 16x16x16 voxels (as I recall). Obviously we could handle much bigger landscapes, but for gameplay reasons we wanted it all on screen at once and also to be able to see the individual voxels.

The other libraries we've used are Ogre3D for the graphics and Qt for windowing, input, sound, etc. Blender was used for for modelling (the invaders are actually just meshes, not true voxels) and Sproxel was used for prototyping some designs. I hope to do some blog posts about the tech and development process in the future, but for now just ask here if you have any questions or comments.

More information: http://www.volumesoffun.com/voxeliens/

Click here to view the iotd
Advertisement
Congratualations on completing the game, I remember your first post a few month agos, as soon as I get home I'ma buy myself a copy!
I've been following this for a while, glad to see it's finished! Polyvox is awesome too, I've played with it on a few projects.

Purchased and enjoyed. Keep up the good work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement