🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

lets hear it for shareware

Started by
6 comments, last by cliffski 22 years, 8 months ago
Well i won''t go into details but lets just say that i have at least 2 publishers mucking me about in various ways (total non payment and delayed payment) It cheers me up no end when i get the occasional email from regsoft telling me one of my shareware games just got registered. Thats money straight to me without any dubious middleman. If you are thinking about publishing your first game, do it shareware, you actually get to see the money that way, and there is nobody interfering between you and the customer! of course, I have made some good money through some publishers as well, but right now if i was writing a new game, i''d be aiming it at the shareware market. anyone agree/disagree? http://www.positech.co.uk
Advertisement
I have never finished anything yet but if I could do it without a publisher with a decent profit the ofcourse I would prefer that.
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Just what I think! Shareware is the way to go.

Maybe this is a good place to give an advice to anyone dealing with publishers:

1. Only sign non-exclusive contracts with publishers (then you do not need to rely on one alone).

2. Only sign exclusive contracts with an advance that satifies you (and consider this the only thing you will ever see).

There is NO other way. Whatever they promise you - YOU are the one who worked long hours getting it done. Do not sell your soul for promises. Ask for a FAIR deal for BOTH sides: If they believe they can sell your product, they should pay you an advance - or at least not ask for an exclusive contract.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Edited by - DavidRM on October 7, 2001 1:57:57 PM

Edited by - DavidRM on October 7, 2001 1:58:20 PM
cheers for shareware!

I''m a big fan of shareware too. The profit margins are good, and you retain full control. You work on what you want to work on, and it''s finished only when you say it is.

On the flipside, though, publishers are often necessary to provide the funding for larger projects. So it becomes something of a tradeoff.

DavidRM
Samu Games
what happened?
You probably said something nasty and your posts got deleted
-------------Ban KalvinB !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement