🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Dawn of Fantasy

Started by
13 comments, last by CC Ricers 11 years, 12 months ago
These screens are from Dawn of Fantasy my first released game. Its an RTS with persistent cities that you advance and grow over many rounds of play, then pit against other cities and armies belonging to both computer and human players. There are three very different races to choose from and various ways to customize and grow your town and units. Check out the website www.dawnoffantasy.com for more information.

This started back in 2001 as just a desire by my self and a few others to make a video game. With some programing knowledge and no experience it was a tremendous hill to climb. It took about 7 years to even really say we knew what we were doing. I learned a lot about programing in the proccess but I may have learned even more about the design and management proccess. Make your game on paper first and stick too it. Don't get caught up adding new planed features later in the development proccess, it will slow you to a crawl. The game came out back in november. It was almost published in that we had a contract with a publisher and games went to stores but they dropped it right after release. So now we're fully self published online.

Click here to view the iotd
Advertisement
Congrats! :)
Its about being creative through these confines~
Great Work! What tools, API/engine did you use?
I wrote the engine from scratch, its C++ and DX9
The game looks awesome, but please turn Bloom down. It's not 2003. Way overdone.

Good luck with the release!
Who did the model & animation stuff?
The art looks fantastic but definitely cut back the Bloom, way too much.
Ya I picked the bloomiest shot for the cover, its only used in certain environments though. Its a shame the screen shot slider doesn't work cause theres several way less bloomy shots that you can't get to.

All the models and animations were done in house of the course of a long period of time.
Wow looks awesome, Great work!
This looks sexy man.
Just wanted to say that this is amazing work!
I would say that as a good piece of software - it looks like it was worth the long development time. I just hope it is worth it as a money return also.

With that said, I would like to know how many people it took to make the game? How much time each of you have put into the game through the last years?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement