🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

IRC programming with VC++??

Started by
5 comments, last by MindWipe 22 years, 9 months ago
I want to make a bot for IRC with VC++. I thought of using WinSock but I have never done any programs/games using it so I''m a complete newby. Are there any good tutorials, examples or even wrappers? I''m grateful for any help Thanks, MindWipe "If it doesn''t fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway."
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
Advertisement
What kind of bot?

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I doesn''t really matter.

I only want a program that can access an IRC Server & channel and say stuff and read what other people are saying. I want to make it my self...

/MindWipe

"If it doesn''t fit, force it; if it breaks, it needed replacement anyway."
"To some its a six-pack, to me it's a support group."
If you want to make it yourself, read the RFC on the IRC protocol. Learn Winsock under VB (via Winsock Control) or C++. Then write the program.

Dire Wolf
www.digitalfiends.com
[email=direwolf@digitalfiends.com]Dire Wolf[/email]
www.digitalfiends.com
been there done that, irc protocol is pish problem is parsing it
It''s just strings, use the c string functions
i have written a irc bot with c++/mfc.

it seams that some irc networks dont care so much about the rfc.
for example ping-pong in the quakenet is not as descriped in the rfc. i dont know about other networks.
with those diffences you cant even join the network!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement