🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

RealKo

Started by
1 comment, last by haxpor_ 12 years, 1 month ago
RealKo is a framework created for my client used in airport's tower control training simulation.

A first stable version was finished in 2009 around 3 months, with on-going adding more features and fixing according to feedbacks and reviews.
The framework itself is designed to support any airport models. Now it supports 2 airport models which are "Suvarnabhumi Airport", and "Yangon International Airport".

The framework focuses on rendering part, and effect, along with the following features.

• Deferred shading
  • DLAA support
  • Bloom post processing
  • 3 weather condition support -> Normal, Raining, Snowing
  • Configurable airport meshes with ability to control them in code individually (such as turn on/off runway light mesh)
  • Simple daytime simulation

The vital things I learned from this project is 3D maths (learned mostly from rendering part), and shading programming.
    One last thing, the project itself is built up on top of pure XNA, and features added are cumulative over time.

You can see how this project is putting into real use over here.

Updated: See video in action here.

Click here to view the iotd
Advertisement
Very nice - and it must be great seeing your work used for real like this!

have a question/suggestion though - since your viewpoint is fixed (or, you have a limited set of viewpoints from the towers), you could pre-render some of your scene and display it as a "skybox" (with the depth buffer either being stored in the "skybox", or you could render invisible geometry on top). That rendering could be entirely offline, or you could use your engine to do one-off (or occasional, if you support time of day changes) high quality renders. That could speed up the rendering/quality of static objects, leaving you more processing time for the dynamic ones... Did you consider doing this?

This is what I'm basically doing in my R/C flight sim:
Thanks MrRowl for your great suggestion!! and your work looks really nice as well !

To be honest, I have overlooked it from the very beginning. The reason is that I would make it to be really generalized framework, and be able to add on top. Anyway that pre-rendered stuff would definitely speed up things, I will keep this in mind for any future adding stuff.

By the way, those guys also have a pilot-view which is flying off above the airport, and cooperate with the guys in the tower-view. Most of the time being at the tower, but they can also fly off freely as they want.

Note: You mentioned about day time changes. So I would love to add more information here :) My engine does it in simple way by doing a linear lerping between key time-frame of the day (I have 4). It will blend each key's sky-texture along with do linear transition of global light intensity (simulated sun light). I would prefer to add more nicer and complicate day-time change. Thanks for reminding me about this as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement