🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Soulless

Started by
9 comments, last by GameDev.net 11 years, 8 months ago
Soulless is a C64 game we just recently finished (and is out for sale since 1st of June).
It's a jump'n'run with search elements á la Impossible Mission.

It's been a real blast working on the old machine with all the limitations. The graphician (Smila) and musician (encore) did an awesome job. All in all it took us nearly a year working in private hours.

It was really interesting to work with all the media types. The game is available as tape (with custom tape loader by Richard Bayliss), as (floppy) disk, as digital download and as cartridge. Especially the latter one was intriguing getting all the intro/outro and game into 64 kB.

Unfortunately there's no demo of the game, but it can be purchased at http://www.psytronik...re-64&Itemid=57
For collectors, the bigger editions come with an additional CD, a poster and a full map.

Click here to view the iotd

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Advertisement
That looks really great! Looks like you all worked very hard at it, and it looks very professional. Congratulations.

Haha Impossible Mission. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. ;)
Your purchase page is broken! Please fix! This is a must have for me! :)
Your purchase page is broken! Please fix! This is a must have for me! :)

The shop is fixed now ;)

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Have played for a few hours, excellent game for me :)
Love the intro and the music, the ingame gfx are really good and the gameplay seems very solid.
Still waiting for the boxed versions to come through the door, disk and cartridge.
The extras looks superb too - comic, map, poster, and the companion disc with lots more extras on it.
Great work keeping the c64 alive :)
I'm not sure if I'm stating the obvious or not, but: can this be played on an emulator, or is the game meant for actual C64 owners?

I love the music and graphics in the movie, especially the chip music!

This is really awesome, I didn't know new games were still being made for the C64!
One request. Can you make the images a bit larger? It's hard to see the graphics.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

...Now, if only they still made C64's - Other than, I suppose, hobby boards.

I'm not sure if I'm stating the obvious or not, but: can this be played on an emulator, or is the game meant for actual C64 owners?

I love the music and graphics in the movie, especially the chip music!

This is really awesome, I didn't know new games were still being made for the C64!

You can do both. It was completely created on emulators (since I don't own a real C64 anymore), but is of course also playable on the real machine.

In the shop you can buy real media (tape, disk, cartridge) or simply the digital download (which is an emulator file). Everyone who buys a media also gets the download.

For now it's only available in the shop, however the crack will probably be available soon as well. We've made an agreement with the cracker, they'll hold the crack back for a while to support development ;)

One request. Can you make the images a bit larger? It's hard to see the graphics.

Done. Note however, the images do not look as crisp on the real machine, usually the TVs mush the colors (and you get free anti aliasing)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement