🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

ShaderMap 2

Started by
6 comments, last by Wilds 11 years, 11 months ago
This is ShaderMap 2, it is a 3d graphics map generation and normal map painting application. It generates common rendering maps from source images. Each map is a DLL plugin which generates its pixels from existing maps or works as a stand-alone map with no inputs. ShaderMap 2 comes with a normal editor for painting groups of normals (from 3d models or maps) or individual vectors. It has the following features:

- Redesigned User Interface
- Normal Map Painting
- Internal / External visualizer window
- 32 / 64 bit binaries
- Muli-core support
- Added more image formats including PSD and DDS.
- External editor integration
- ShaderMap material editor
- Advanced maps configuration
- Expandable using map plugins
- Expandable using HLSL shaders for materials
- Free ShaderMap SDK for developers

The SDK offers C++ and HLSL developers the opportunity to develop their own maps and materials. A simple single page C++ API is included in a VS DLL Project to create a map. Materials are a combination of XML and HLSL.

I believe there is always room for improvement. I was especially motivated to create a normal painting section and plan to continue to tweak and improve that feature of ShaderMap 2. Another reason I decided to build ShaderMap was to create a UI framework to use in future applications. The entire interface is rendered in Direct3D, I was glad to move away from MFC (used in my last two projects ShaderMap 1 and Woody3D). Now I have full control of how the interface behaves and renders which makes applications I build with it more portable and unique.

Some of the lessons I learned during this project are:

• Spend a lot of time drawing and designing before implementing. I spent a lot of extra hours just tweaking layers in Photoshop.
  • Do your research, better to do it right when it comes to shaders and image filters. If in doubt ask someone for help.
  • Building and using your own libraries and frameworks is a blessing as well as a responsibility. Ultimate control with little oversight.

You can download the demo at http://shadermap.com

I've also uploaded a lot of videos at http://shadermap.com/video/

Starting next week I'll be posting weekly SDK examples on my GameDev.Net Journal if you are interested in creating your own maps and shaders.

Click here to view the iotd
Advertisement
Pretty amazing!
May i ask if you will ever sell or put in open source , the gui you have designed ? i want to move away too from mfc as soon as possible and i am not very willing to spend hours learning a new interface api like wpf or whatever.
I'd be willing to buy also only the code for the gui, if you are interested, drop me a private message AT VP8671@LIBERO.IT
Awesome work. The UI is incredible, and the results seems to be pretty nice. I have not tested it jet, but I think here we see a big competitor of crazy bump or nDo
RubyNL and DavidM - Thanks for the nice comments.

Guest - There are no plans to package the GUI library to sell.
oh hey rastan. awesome game :P

oh hey rastan. awesome game tongue.png

No doubt - there was a Rastan arcade machine in a little pizza place near where I grew up. So many hours.. Anyway watch this Rastan guru go through the whole game in a single life.

I am more interested in the nice GUI. hehe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement