🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DPlay works across the LAN and not the Net

Started by
1 comment, last by FVector4 22 years, 8 months ago
OK, I''ve got the majority of the system working and everything is hunky-dory on the LAN. But can I buggery get the damn thing to connect over the internet. Here is my setup. One machine is going through the local network and out through our T1 connection to the internet. On this machine I am running the CLIENT. On my second machine I have a dial up connection to a PPP account. On this machine I am running the SERVER. The client is able to enumerate the game session but if fails to connect. The DP SDK simple client/server app works fine so its not a hardware/software configuration issue. Its got to be something I am doing in my code. Anyone had similar problems? got an suggestions? cheers,
Advertisement
Do you have a (real) firewall at work? I''ve heard of some problems with DP & firewalls, don''t know the specifics though...
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I''ve sorted it...

It seems that there is a known issue between DirectX 8.0 and ISA server (Firewall).

Apparently the DirectX team are working on this and fixes should appear in version 8.1.

For now the "work-around" is to leave the host enumeration running when you make a call to IDirectPlay8Client->Connect(). This is ok because the call to connect will automatically cancel the enumeration operation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement