🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Website design (with example)

Started by
12 comments, last by Jester101 22 years, 8 months ago
(Always one to jump in on a discussion of graphic design...)

Despite what others may have said, I like it. Header and menu is nice, like it--it''s clean and legible. Maybe the address should be in the same column and row as the header image.

It''s not too simple. I find a lot of amateurs try to be too flashy, I''m personally from the school of simplicity and minimalism. (ie: http://www.bmw.co.uk/)

The first page is okay, though it suffer many of the same problems as the products page does. (see next)

Products: I''m not feeling the layout. I''m not sure what I''m looking at and nothing really stands out. (I didn''t even realize those were games and that you''re selling something!) Stuff looks just generally scattered all over the page (too much whitespace). Whitespace is a powerful and often over looked component of design. And why are all the text images?! I guess I''ve been babied by mouseover, but I like my links to respond when I hover over them. Also, the font you chose has a very heavey weight, so everything looks bold. I don''t know about you, but that just sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Also, it''s too skinny to be used as regular text.

You need to fix those images with skewed aspect ratios. They make your products (and your site) look unprofessional.

Press page: I like it. Not much you can do.

Support: again, image text?!

Links, I like. Why? Well you explain what the links ARE!! I think you can stand to lose the table borders, however. Your layout is logical enough that it can do without them. Another suggestion, place page breaks inbetween the links. Right now the tables look connect and you really can''t tell where one ends and the other begins.

Corporate: perfect in everyway.

Oh yeah, don''t forget to include the alt-text--it''s helpful and considerate to everybody.

About Flash and JS. Don''t down them completely. They are useful in moderation. JS is especially useful in form validation and CGI assistence. Generally, JS "tricks" are useless--usually being more trouble (to the end user) than they are worth (ie: multilevel cascading JS menus). As for Flash, you may not like it because you haven''t seen it used tastefully or correctly. As for me, I absolutely hate cheesy flash intros. I have yet to see a meaningful one. If you''re gonna use Flash for menus, just make the whole thing in Flash. And make sure the UI is logical and easy to use. The only downside is that most of the time, you need a broadband connection to truly enjoy them in real time (bad). Alright, I''m in danger of going off on some tangent, I''ll end it now, if not for the children''s sake! (Won''t someone think of the children?!?)

Btw, please don''t judge me by my site--it''s crap. I know good design, I just can''t do it myself.

Jinushaun
Nation Leprechaun
Advertisement
Wow I didn''t noticed the aspect ratio thing. Looks like you have reeeaally taken a close look (thx!).

The reason why the text are images was originally that the user might not have the special font I am using and I wanted everything to look "out of one piece" (don''t know the english term - but I guess you got me). But if this makes problems, then I''ll make them normal text.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

quote: Original post by Jester101
Wow I didn''t noticed the aspect ratio thing. Looks like you have reeeaally taken a close look (thx!).

If you need for all your pictures to be the same height and width, I recommend cropping.

Jinushaun
Nation Leprechaun
My old clan website that i made was fairly simple

http://www.unitedklandom.barrysworld.net

the clans now defunct so its just sitting there

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement