🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Sandbox

Started by
-1 comments, last by ZachBethel 11 years, 10 months ago
For a few months now, I've been working on a project in my spare time that I hope will become a game by next summer. The engine is being built from the ground up in C++ with DirectX 11 and Bullet Physics integration. This was the third major milestone on the project, focused entirely on improving the graphics side. Features for this milestone include:

• High Dynamic Range Lighting
  • Improved Deferred Rendering with FXAA
  • Cook-Torrance lighting with normal and specular/roughness map support
  • Cascade Shadow Mapping with PCF filtering

At this point, the project is more of a sandbox tech demo than a game (hence the random globes and sparse level design), but gameplay elements are slowing making it in. Much of those details are still in the works, but the vision is to have multiplayer tank battles! The tank itself is a simulated constraint vehicle, and a lot of my energy has gone into making it fun to drive rather than realistic. It's not quite there yet, but I'm liking what I have so far. Currently, I am the sole developer on the project, although a friend of mine created the tank model. I am still investigating other graphics features I'd like to add, such as motion blur, baked radiosity with irradiance volumes, ambient occlusion, depth of field, etc. I'm holding off on those until a later milestone, as they're more of "gravy" items.

The next milestone will focus on developing the camera system and turret movement for the tank, as well as making it actually shoot!

Last but not least, credit goes to MJP for the shadow mapping algorithm and HDR research. You can find out more about it on his blog: http://mynameismjp.wordpress.com/

Click here to view the iotd

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement