🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

With or without agents?!

Started by
10 comments, last by Smile 22 years, 8 months ago
Hi! I would be very greatfull if someone could give me some info about hiring an agent in order to find me publisher for my nearly finished commercial game. I''ve seen some sites and companies that gives you an agent, but I don''t know if that is worth my while as they also take some revenue like publishers. Again, I would be very greatfull if someone could help me, specially those of you who had experience with agents before. If you are interested you could see the game at http://www.core-project.com/overtakezone/index.asp P.S. Sorry for my bad spelling
Advertisement
Wow, a new player from Eastern-europe. Man, you are really, really close to me. I am from Hungary.

--
bernie
www.bkgames.com
Oh yes I would like to get information about agents too. My product is Smugglers 2 (www.smugglers2.net).

Btw bernatk: Do you know the hungary magazine Computer Panorama? They''ll shortly write a review and cover the demo of S2. Is it any important?

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Heyas,

Dunno if you have been to Game Agents Corp at http://gameagents.com/default.htm

They are game agents and offer a wide variety of services so check them out if you havent and see if this is what your after.

Cheers
Adam
Yes, thats what I have looked for peanutt, I have also found one other company at http://www.octagon1.com/

It looks like no one here has some past experience with agents, and is it worth to go with them or to look alone for publisher. But they are professionals and they should have experience and contact with known established publisher which I lack off.
I had contacted around 20 publishers few months ago, and recieved reply from 8 while only 3 were interested to see the game (so it''s not a great statistic).

Bernatk: Yeah, eastern Europe rulez , but we are far from east, we belong to cetral Europe I think.

See ya,
Smile
Heya,

Well i know what ya mean..We have had publisher interest in our game and engine but they wanna see a better demo. Personally as a team we dont wanna use a publisher but from my research there is real no way around them.
And when it comes down to it the industry doesnt support small independent game companys. Something i wish would change much like the music industry.
We personally dont make games for outright money but we think we should be rewarded for our efforts not the coporate money sharks.
So really wouldnt it be smarter to approach a publisher directly?
Im sure agent fees arent cheap and that just means less of a cut for you guys.
Just my thoughts, although id like to know how it turns out.

Cheers
Adam
Hey just took a look at your site and the game looks pretty cool. Its a bit bad that the game progress page hasnt been updated since january though...
If i were you I would avoid game agents, I had a hard time trying to get any of them to even respond to email, and to be honest life is too short to waste on idiots who don''t have the decency to reply with a simple no thanks.
I would seriously consider selling yiour game yourself using shareware. people think that shareware is a way to earn a few bucks a month, but some companies do very well out of it. For a long time, winzip was a shareware product...
Try selling it through regsoft.com they are a good payment processor. You can always stop selling it as shareware once a publisher picks up the game (i have done this before) but in the meantime you earn a few hundred bucks and get really good feedback from paying customers.
If you do go the shareware route, check out my site if you want to trade links.

http://www.positech.co.uk
Maybe shareware is a good idea, but how big is the revenue as I saw that majority of shareware games are sold for around 20 bucks. I know that we are not here to became millionares, but if I had an opportunity I wouldn''t think twice to take it .
First of all, I still have to see what publishers we contacted say about game, but you must always have some second options if something goes wrong, right?!

Cliffski: Sorry about "new" updates at our homepage, I''ll force someone to do it at once , and thanks for kind words about game. And yeah, I know what you think when you said about idiots without any culture in gaming industry as only half mails we send to publishers were replyed. BTW i really like your StarMiner game concept, just my kind of a game.

See ya,
Smile
www.core-project.com
> magazine Computer Panorama? They''ll shortly write a review

Yes, it is one of the leading mags, so congrat on this. I think you should write to the hungarian Chip, too. That is the most widely read mag here and I think in Germany, too.

> in our game and engine but they wanna see a better demo

This engine thing puzzles me. When there was that deer hunter hype we have created a nice hunting demo and showed it to a german publisher''s agent. He said they were only interested in the engine. Why not the whole game, I don''t know. And who wants to handle out a dx/ogl/glide/sw rendering, crossplatform engine just for a few bucks? Nobody.

--
bernie
www.bkgames.com
nice

Edited by - ncsu121978 on October 14, 2001 11:56:40 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement