🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Voxel Based Retro Shooting Game on iPhone/iPad

Started by
2 comments, last by simpler 11 years, 7 months ago
Hi everybody,

my name is Owen (aka fallingcat). My friend and l are developing an iPhone/iPad game which is about to hit iTunes store so I want to share you some information about this game here.

The game we are developing called Space Qube, it's a retro style shooting game which is based on voxel rendering. Everything in this game are made by cubes (voxel) and the best part is taht there is an in-game model editor which allows the user to create models using cubes then share the models with the world via the Internet, email and Facebook. Of course the users can also choose their own model to play the game, does it sound cool?

The game is composed of two parts, game and workshop.

The game part
The game part is simple, the player controls the space ship, flying toilet(?) or anything the player created to shoot as many aliens as he can to get highest score. Of course there are some power-ups the player can use to increase the weapon power, speed, etc. There are also couple of bosses are waiting for the player, beat them to get higher score and some rewards.

The workshop part
The workshop part contains a voxel model editor and browser. You can use browser to browse the voxel models uploaded by other players. You can also download and rate the uploaded voxel models then modify them or use them to play game. For creation part, you can create 16x16 or 32x32 size model in iPad but only 16x16 size model on iPhone/iPod since the screen size. The way you create voxel model is actually editing layers, and those layers will be composed. There are couple of tools you can use in model editor, I will upload a video later to show you how to use it to create a voxel model. After creating the voxel model, you can share them via the Internet, email or facebook. There will be an official website which list all uploaded voxel models and anyone with browser can view the uploaded voxel model from PC or iPad/iPhone.

Here are some in-developing screenshots of the game!

screenshot_01_2.png
The model browser with some FOD blur effect.

screenshot_02_2.png
In-game model editor.

screenshot_03_2.png
Gameplay with god ray effect.

screenshot_04_2.png
Gameplay with god ray and blur effect .

boost.png
Boost effect with radial blur.

Click here to view the iotd

Advertisement
Looks awesome! I'm a little disappointed the video is only 9 seconds; I was really hoping to see those pretty images brought to life in a video! Congrats.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
Looks cool, will you bring it to Android?
The graphics looks really nice! I like that not only the models are voxel based but also the text in the UI, well done :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement