🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

multiplayer stats: Is it possible to have a program

Started by
1 comment, last by Morcth 22 years, 8 months ago
Hey all.. I dont know much about game programming yet and I was wondering if it is possible to host a multiplayer game...any game. Maybe age of empires 2 or monopoly or red faction...anything. And have a program that logs the ip or any info on the people who win each game. Since I doubt any game logs winners IP because why the hell would it would I be able to write something to do that or would that info be impossible to get automatically? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Can you either post reply here or if you have time e-mail me morcth@optonline.net
Advertisement
yah, you can get the IP of connected clients from the winsock control, or through the winsock API... i''m sure it is possible on other platforms too...
although saving the IP of the winner might not work as you plan, because people''s IP''s change (dial-up changes each time, and even cable modems change their IP every once in a while)...

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
You can of course log the IP of connecting clients (though I don''t know how you''d actually do it API-wise).

However, if you want to collect game-related data like who was the winner, you''re going to have to rely on a hook supplied by the game. Most FPS usually produce logs which you can scan for example.

As a last ressort, you might reverse engineer the game''s protocol

cu,
Prefect

One line of sourcecode says more than a thousand words.
Widelands - laid back, free software strategy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement