🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need some info

Started by
2 comments, last by msjohnson 22 years, 8 months ago
If there is anyone who may have some info about the field of video game design I''m trying to do a research project and not finding much. If anyone knows some things like what things one needs to do in college to be most qualified or what some entry level positions there are, if there are or just where I might find things like that I would really appreciate it. You could e-mail me at msj_21@hotmail.com or I''ll just keep checking this. Thanks
Advertisement
I''m not sure what you want.

If you want to know something about designing a game there is a book called : "Game architecture and design".

People seem to like it. I found it to be a little too big and a little boring

Can you say "a little too big" ????

-------------Ban KalvinB !
I had to get that book ordered in the from U.S and absolutely loved it, however I''ve never really found the time to ''study'' it as such to take into account and use what I''ve read.

As for information, For the gaming industry I''d recommend someone who has done perhaps computer engineering aswell as other sub courses that focus on a specific language (C++ seems to be the most popular but Delphi, C, and VB are also used).
Someone that has ''played around'' with a 3D Graphics and/or 3D Programming is a bonus.

Most ''big company'' employers look for a _very_ nice portfolio which displays what your capable of, and simply what you _have_ done. If they do employ you, there is a high chance you will have to learn new technologies and new methods, etc.
Another big thing they look for is experience in a working environment, working to a ''certain way'' (as well as working to a deadline) meaning you work to the companies standard so if you quit or something someone can take over without spending 6 months trying to figure out what you were doing (this is assuming your talking about programming).

The above is pretty much aimed towards programming in the gaming industry.

There is also Game Designers, Script Writers, Sound engineers, 3D Graphic Artists, 3D Modellers, Texture Artists (2D Artists), Project ''managers'' (people who look over everyone to make sure they are doing whats required and to the other works requirements). Almost forgot Music composers.

Once again, positions depend on the project, ie. For Artifact you have Client/Server side programmers (1 for each), a sound engineer, music composer, and Artist.

Then if you look at something like, ID Softwares Doom 3, or Return to Castle Wolfenstein, or even Final Fantasy 9.

they have Producers, Executives, Project Leaders, several Programmers, a few music composers, a few sound engineers, ALOT of Artists and 3D Modellers, and so forth.

So to wrap that all up, a GOOD portfolio and experience in the industry of something else similar to the position your after should get you in, you must remember though you are competing for these positions against _alot_ of people usually.

DavidRM, just curious.. you currently working on any new projects since Artifact that your allowed to mention ?

--Thanks.
Thanks alot, to be honest I cheated a little bit. I should really be in the beginner forum because I am just starting to get interested but I didn''t think anyone in there could answer that question as well, otherwise they probably wouldn''t be in there. So no, I''m not working on anything.
Thanks again, that was helpful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement