🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Discontinuing Products and Pricing

Started by
11 comments, last by DavidRM 22 years, 8 months ago
That was me.
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Advertisement
The server(s) were hosted elsewhere.
Not sure about when it was first made public though in 1996 have to wait for David to answer that, I would assume though during Development and testing that they just used their own computers..
*shrug*
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Yet another question. Did you have the servers at home or was it hosted by someone else ?

In the very early days we used any shell login (it ran on Unix/Linux) we could find to host the game. We used a shell account on someone''s personal computer during testing, and then used a shell account from my ISP when we first went live. We used that one for quite a while.

In late 1997 we leased our first dedicated server for the game. We''ve used dedicated servers ever since.

With both Paintball NET and Artifact, we''ve never actually seen the physical hardware where they are/were running. We started out with MudServices in Pennsylvania, but they began a slow deterioration. So we moved to MudGate in Atlanta, Georgia. They sold their server hosting business, so we had to move again and we ended up at WebServePro (AKA INetSolve) in Nashua, New Hampshire. We''re still with WebServePro, and we''ve been there nearly 2 years now.

DavidRM
Samu Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement