🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Company Name Search

Started by
14 comments, last by SD2 22 years, 7 months ago
Hi, Anyone have any ideas where to do a company name search? I am interested in registering a company but would much rather have a unique name. I know of the ones with a fee but was wondering if any free databases are available? Also, does anyone know of a web-site which handles company registration for you? Here''s an example of a place which charges a fee and handles trade mark registration making it easier: http://www.nameprotect.com/tm_protection.html Does someone know of a similar service for company registrations? P.S. I am talking about US companies Thanks alot in advance
Advertisement
Try http://www.bizfilings.com. It''s the cheapest one on the web I think. Good luck

Take care,

Alex
quote: Original post by Xing Interactive
Try http://www.bizfilings.com. It''s the cheapest one on the web I think. Good luck

Take care,

Alex

Seems to be just what I was looking for.
Thanks alot
I really appreciate it.

Anyone know about a company name search database on the internet? Free or low cost...

Thanks again

Bizfilings.com do this as a standard service if I recall correctly. Whenever you submit a name they''ll check the state for a company with a similar name in your line of business. If it already exists you''ll get notified.

Take care,

Alex
A problem we have here in the UK is that some of the domain name registeration companys watch for new companies being formed (the UK gov. office Companies House publishes them somewhere) and grabs the .com before the you can - so be careful...

Thanks alot

www.companieshouse.co.uk

Is the URL for companies house in the UK. It has a searchable list (click Companies Information) which also shows some basic info like when the company was formed, their address, when their last accounts were filed etc.

AFAIK when you register a company, part of the fee you pay includes a name search to see if any other name clashes.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

quote: Original post by S1CA
AFAIK when you register a company, part of the fee you pay includes a name search to see if any other name clashes.

Yeah... and if the name is taken they keep the money you pay them, I have heard.

You should make sure that the company name is not taken, like you are doing.

Good luck.

Artificial intelligence is the devil... resist intelligent NPC''s

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
As far as trademarking a name, I dont know anything about it, though I believe its quite expensive. However, I personally feel that most people starting a company probably dont have a real need to trademark their name.

On the other hand, for simply registering a company name (ie: to set up an official business), here in Michigan, all I had to do was go to the County Clerk''s office, fill in about a page of info, pay a $23 fee, and Im all set. They check to see if a similar name is registered in the state before you pay, and if its available, the fee reserves it for you for 5 years. Then they give you a few sheets of paper/receipts, so you can do things like open a business bank account, etc.

I think for MOST people looking to start their own business, this is probably totally sufficient, as well as the most economical route.
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
according to another thread on gamedev, TM can be used by anybody for free (providing you''re first one using it)

however, (R) Registered trade marks do cost money

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement