🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Dplay 8 vs. custom tcp/ip or udp

Started by
12 comments, last by Salec 22 years, 6 months ago
Hello, I am just curious as to what would be the better path to take? Should I use DirectPlay 8 or write my own custom routine using tcp/ip or udp? This is for an engine that my group is creating. This engine can be used in a wide variety of ways. This engine is not focused for just role playing games or first person shooters..or even games for that matter. It would help alot if someone could list the pros and cons of using dplay vs using something else. This engine is not just for windows also. It will be ported to many other Operating systems and even game consoles. Thanks alot -Salec
Advertisement
If you are going to be porting your code to other platforms including consoles then the answer to your question is pretty clear. Use tcp/udp since this is a cross platform API. If you use directplay then you are stuck to windows and the directx api.

henry
HenryLecturer in Computer Games TechnologyUniversity of Abertay DundeeScotlandUK
Thats pretty much what I figured. Do you know where I can get some more information on UDP and creating a protocol similar to it? It seems everywhere I look, there is only information on tcp/ip.

Thanks alot

-Salec
what about if you are only sticking to windows? Is it better to use Dplay or your own custom? What would be the pros and cons?
Um, why are you wanting to use UDP? I thought they were unreliable? At least that is the impression I get from all these Winsock tutorials. Why don''t you use TCP, stream sockets, or is that only for internet? (Well, it makes sense that TCP/IP is for internet, IP meaning internet protocol, but is there anything else that is TCP...as in TCP/___?)
this was an older thread. I just wanted to know what was better for network code for windows. (for tcp or udp) Is it better to use dplay or your own custom code?
UDP is part of TCP/IP. TCP, UDP, & ICMP are protocols (among others) within the TCP/IP suite.

DirectPlay offers a priority queue, UDP based, selectably garuanteed packet delivery. It also lets you make your game ''lobbable'' for use on things like GameSpy (not that they likely to add your game to their list).

If your porting I won''t consider DP. It''d be more trouble than it''s worth.

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- Not For Rent
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
If i were you i''d go the hard way and do it TCP and/or UDP. Its just much more fun than Dplay. You''ll learn alot of basics that will help you if you later on want to try Dplay instead.
Taile,

You would use UDP because it will be far faster than TCP. The guaranteed nature of TCP makes it much slower by comparison. Also, even on Windows, I would avoid DP and go for a custom Winsock library. Consider the advantages of IOCP and other new features of Win32. These features don''t scale well to UNIX platforms, but there are some tweeks that allow similar performance. Your code will not be portable either way.
Use HawkNL if you need a cross platform lib.

It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

All your Xbox base are belong to Microsoft.
It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement