🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New Studio Name, Thoughts?

Started by
11 comments, last by Brain 8 years, 4 months ago

Hello so I am forming a new studio that will dabble in game development, but also a few other creative areas like comic books, prose, physical games and so on.

My last name is Bishop, so I'd like to name the studio something to do with the bishop chess piece (to make the game connection). There are a few chess terms related to chess that might be a good fit. For example-

Good Bishop Studios

Bad Bishop Studios

King's Bishop Studios

Queen's Bishop Studios

Indian Bishop Studios

Bishop Pair Studios

Do any of these stand out as being a little more buzzing than the others? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Advertisement

Shooting down names is fun. :-)

Good Bishop Studios --- Conjures up images of making ultra-right-wing religious games.

Bad Bishop Studios -- Insulting religious people? I imagine a backlash every time there is a religious scandal.

King's Bishop Studios -- Sure, why not. It only makes sense to chess snobs, but fine.

Queen's Bishop Studios -- So now the bad bishop is getting some personal private time with the queen? Scandal! Or if you know chess, you're just saying which side of the board it is on. I imagine most people wouldn't get it.

Indian Bishop Studios -- Racist!
Bishop Pair Studios -- Not sure what that really means.

There is a tool I love to use for this sort of thing. Enjoy.

Good points.

I thought that by having the image of a bishop chess piece in the logo it would have less of the religious connotation. But I guess if I were to just say the name out loud it would just sound like a vanity name or religious name.

You could go super obscure, and use chess notation. Something like 'BxQP' has a ring to it ("bishop takes queen's pawn", in English).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Also, if you haven't already, google the names and see who already uses them and how. Do a Trademark and LLC name check as well. I know of another Bishop Games company I met at PAX South, so it may get confusing.
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

Good Bishop LOL!!!!!! alright how about uhhh Unknown Studio?

//Dre Reid\\

Good Bishop Studios

Bad Bishop Studios

King's Bishop Studios

Queen's Bishop Studios

Indian Bishop Studios

Bishop Pair Studios

Pfft

C5XfN2C.png

I demand 75% revenue share

o3o

Queen's Bishop makes me think of that bit at the end of Aliens where the android gets cut in two. Not sure if there's a good or bad thing.

Out of those, I think King's Bishop rolls off the tongue the best. Bischoppa Studyas is clearly the best choice, though

Skillful Bishop Studios

Has more of a chess connotation than a religious one.

Also has a personal take on your skills as a game dev.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement