🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Original names in game

Started by
1 comment, last by Smile 22 years, 7 months ago
Here is still running similar thread about game names and could one take names like Diablo, Warcraft, etc. I''m asking can I use inside my own racing game names like Ferrari, Williams or so. In freeware I think there should be no problems, but in shareware, I don''t really know!? Or if I''m creating F1 manager game and do it without those FIA license and put in the game unknown teams and drivers. Game ships with editor for every name and statistic. Can I then put on download section of my site original FIA teams and drivers (Williams, Schumacher, etc.) and let people download them to play the game with original F1 "stuff".
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Smile
Here is still running similar thread about game names and could one take names like Diablo, Warcraft, etc.
I''m asking can I use inside my own racing game names like Ferrari, Williams or so. In freeware I think there should be no problems, but in shareware, I don''t really know!?
Or if I''m creating F1 manager game and do it without those FIA license and put in the game unknown teams and drivers. Game ships with editor for every name and statistic. Can I then put on download section of my site original FIA teams and drivers (Williams, Schumacher, etc.) and let people download them to play the game with original F1 "stuff".

I''ve heard that it costs quite a bit of money for some of those car labels to authorize your game. And this /is/ trademark violation, even if your game is freeware. The car industry is somewhat less tech-savy than many others though, so you''ll probably get away with this as long as you''re small-time.

Be warned though, you can get sued over this, and you would probably lose if you are.

It varies from country to country so.... you need to talk to a lawyer, not some people you don''t know in an internet forum.

But basically I do not think you can use their names if you don''t have the license. If you wanted to release a version without there names and then release a patch or hack you may still need to be careful. The best thing to do would be to set up a seperate "fan site" to release the hack and then just link to it from your main sight. That way it is nothing to do with you. At least in theory. The FIA could claim that by linking to the site you are promoting the use of the illegal hacked version.

Like I said, you need to talk to a lawyer.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement