🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tracking down old copyrights..

Started by
1 comment, last by Notwen 24 years, 4 months ago
I''m interested in licensing/buying the rights to an old and long defunct game. Unfortunately, the game company long since disappeared, sold off its rights to several other companies, most of which also disappeared. Does anyone have any advice for tracking down the current rights holder(s)? Thanks, Notwen
Notwenwww.xbox.com
Advertisement
Best bet is just to try to follow the trail of which companies bought which, as their game titles would be sold along with the companies (really the only property most of them have thats worth anything).

-Geoff
If you''ve got money ($300 or so) there are law firms that specialize in doing a copyright search. Considering that a company probably isn''t going to give the rights away, that''ll probably be the least expensive part of obtaining the rights.

Sometimes things can get a little goofy because different people own different rights (especially in international markets)

If you want I can dig up some phone number/addersses from some old books I have laying around, don''t know if they''re still in business though.
-the logistical one-http://members.bellatlantic.net/~olsongt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement