🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Feedback on new Business Card

Started by
13 comments, last by Koobazaur 7 years, 9 months ago

Why is founder premature? I published two commercial titles so far and 3 freebies, I don't think it's inappropriate.

To me, 'founder' indirectly implies you have at least a few employees (not contractors, but real employees). If you do, then it's a perfectly appropriate word!

To try to put it into words, in my mind, for you to be a "founder" means that your organization is large enough to endure without you. If your removal means the instantaneous collapse of your organization, then theoretically you are the organization, not the founder of it as a separate entity.

I like the Crafter line for being more intriguing and closer to what I actually do on my games, but I worry it comes off bit pretentious.

Not to me - I thought it a good line and not in the least bit pretentious. It's a direct claim about what you do, and carries personality in its wording.
Different people obviously take different phrases differently - I dislike 'founder' and like 'crafter of stories and experiences', someone else might be entirely the opposite!

Maybe just creative lead or creative director?

By 'director' and 'lead' even more directly implies there are others under you (director -> who are you directing? lead -> who are you leading?).
If you are the only person, even if you subcontract, then those are inaccurate to me.

How's these for final look? Top or Bottom?

I like the top one. The lower one's squiggly writing is actually hard to read - my mind has to assemble the letters rather than read them. It takes a half second longer, and thus feels unpleasant.

Plus in-general, spiky = painful, rounded = pleasant, mental connotations.
Advertisement

To me, 'founder' indirectly implies you have at least a few employees (not contractors, but real employees). If you do, then it's a perfectly appropriate word!

To try to put it into words, in my mind, for you to be a "founder" means that your organization is large enough to endure without you. If your removal means the instantaneous collapse of your organization, then theoretically you are the organization, not the founder of it as a separate entity.

Hmm I see your point. Perhaps there's a better word for it, then? I still think it's important to know it is my studio and I am the head, whether as a solo dev, contractors or full employees.

By 'director' and 'lead' even more directly implies there are others under you (director -> who are you directing? lead -> who are you leading?).
If you are the only person, even if you subcontract, then those are inaccurate to me.

Errr, I meant Creative Designer actually, image updated. Brain fart!

(tho arguably I did "direct" a team of writers and artists over a few months of development so it's not entirely without merit, but I agree I don't like Director itself. Again, brainfart!)
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

"Creative Designer" seems redundant! As opposed to uncreative designers?

Hmm I see your point. Perhaps there's a better word for it, then? I still think it's important to know it is my studio and I am the head, whether as a solo dev, contractors or full employees.

"Owner" seems straightforward.

It's certainly hard, because, at least in then English language, cooler words also carry additional connotations.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I was just giving my impression, but I'm pretty abnormal. :lol: Go ahead and use the words that you think best describe you - Founder isn't bad.

If you like 'Founder', I suggest:
f4b0236c7a.png

Note: If "Crafter of stories and experiences" refers to the LLC, then it should be under the LLC's line, and italicized, so it looks like a slogan.

If it refers to yourself, then it should be under your name (above the LLC line), and not italicized. I think this is what you were going for, so in my mock-up above, I mistakenly put it in the wrong spot, and italicized. :wacko:

Note 2: These are all suggestions from some inexperienced with marketing, sitting in an armchair, twiddling his thumbs and offering opinions without knowledge. :P

Oooh I like that. And Owner might be good too, still makes it a point without the pretentiousness.

As for Creative Designer - as opposed to pure gameplay or tech designer ;) It's an actual position title from looking at various studios and where my heart lies in.
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
And the order is now shipping :) New business card is A-GO! Thanks all! Here's what it ended up looking like:

mfDEaCC.jpg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement