🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ideal time of the month for sales and events?

Started by
1 comment, last by Scouting Ninja 7 years, 8 months ago

So many freemium games offer one time sales and events each month, however many of them seam to offer these at different points of the month and at different intervals.

Are there known dates that have proven better for sales, not just monthly also annually?

What would be the ideal amount of time for a sale?

Doe short sales with a higher advantage to the player, make as much money as a long sale with a very small advantage to the player?

I noticed a lot of games either lunch a new event or sale at the start of the month(1-4) or on a 20-27; a few also do 11-15 of a month. If it's a event it normally last 30-31 days, sales have a wide range of times they can last.

Advertisement

Sales are normally done to get a short term gain or to tie in a real life event like Easter and Christmas.

The dates you have listed are due to when people normally get paid so they are more like to spend money.

Personally, I would be very careful about sales as the short term spike is quite high, it can also be followed with a lower then average spending curve after the sale and can also get your users into a position where they just wait for sales. The flipside is that sales can help convert non-paying users to paying and therefore they become much more likely to spend money in the game at a later stage.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

The dates you have listed are due to when people normally get paid so they are more like to spend money.

I noticed it, however then I got to thinking and realized that I don't spend money on game purchases just after receiving pay. On average it takes about four to five days before I buy any thing. So this combined with the large amount of different payday dates and the fact that I missed two sales in the game I am playing makes me wonder is there like a golden date for games?

Personally, I would be very careful about sales as the short term spike is quite high, it can also be followed with a lower then average spending curve after the sale and can also get your users into a position where they just wait for sales. The flipside is that sales can help convert non-paying users to paying and therefore they become much more likely to spend money in the game at a later stage.

I noticed this when I played as a free member, or in the games I am not fully invested in, I will just wait holding on to my premium currency and spending it on a sale that would give me the most for my effort.

However I don't think this is as true for paying customers in most freemium games is it?

I spend my extra money on the first sale of the month, or event if there is no sale and time is running out; If I don't spent the money on the game I just end up spending it on something else.

Maybe if you have $50 or more that you plan on spending on the game at once, then maybe you would wait for the next big sale.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement