🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to use recv()...

Started by
1 comment, last by DanTheRocker 22 years, 7 months ago
I''ve been playing around with sending and recieving messages, but I have yet to get it perfect. Does anyone want to copy\paste a function that they have made to resieve a message? The problem I''ve been having is when I revieve a message, I get it, but my program never stops getting "FD_READ" messages. I think it is because I didn''t recieve the data properly, but I don'' know where I went wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you could not use vector<> I''d appreciate it. Thanks.
-Dan
Advertisement
Are you using Window''s asynchronous sockets ?
If so you''re supposed to recv() when you get a FD_READ message.

I can''t help you more with that part. I use select()
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=68385

A basic call to recv() is done that way :

#define BUFSIZE 1024char buffer[bufsize]int bytes_read = recv( socket, buffer, BUFSIZE, NULL ); 

That''s it.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
currently, all my basic network functions are inside of a class. the listen function is in a thread, so the code looks a bit like this

char buffer[1024];while(1){    int recieved = recvfrom(...); // recieve stuff here    if (recieved > 0)    {        buffer[recieved] = 0;        // do something with the buffer here    }}  

it uses udp, so im not sure if this is what your looking for, but it might give ya a better idea

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement