🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Can I use real car brands in my game for free

Started by
14 comments, last by monalaw 7 years, 3 months ago

https://www.aircraftcompare.com/aircraft_images/334.jpg

https://www.aircraftcompare.com/aircraft_images/362.jpg

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

Advertisement

Now that i get 2 downvotes without comment, i start doubting myself, just trying to help.

I suspect those downvotes might be because you're correct that some IP holders don't actively persue copyright claims, that doesn't actually protect the OP. The IP holders might change their mind, the IP might get sold to somebody who does want to persue, et cetera. So the risk is still there.

Without a legally binding license to use the IP (basically a signed contract that says "we won't sue you"), the safer course of action is to avoid the IP.

Thanks for the help that was usefully thanks slot.

MVH Andreas8998

Given that the safest way to reference real world products is obtaining a license, which car (or helicopter) manufacturers are known to authorize use of their designs, names, trademarks and other IP in games easily and inexpensively?

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Given that the safest way to reference real world products is obtaining a license,
which car (or helicopter) manufacturers are known to authorize use of their designs,
names, trademarks and other IP in games easily and inexpensively?

Your assumptions, (1) that there are manufacturers who give such permission (easily
and inexpensively), and (2) that someone here knows who they are, are probably both
incorrect. The reliable way to find out which manufacturers will give such
permission is to contact them yourself.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Short answer: no.

Somewhat longer answer: it's better to ask permission than beg forgiveness when it comes to IP. When in doubt, ask permission.

~Mona Ibrahim
Senior associate @ IELawgroup (we are all about games) Interactive Entertainment Law Group

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement