🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Single-player web game business models

Started by
1 comment, last by Sam@AMT Games 7 years, 3 months ago

What are some good business models for single-player games playable in the browser?

Advertising? Merchandise? Selling more fully featured games (or games as more content) as downloads?

I'm asking because single-player web games with a small scope are the easiest for me to make.

Advertisement

Common revenue sources with browser-based games include advertising, in-app purchases, and subscriptions. I haven't seen a lot of merchandising, but if you can establish a good brand it could possibly work well.

However, another common approach you might consider is to sell licenses for your games or even develop them specifically for clients. It can take some work (and a bit of luck) to get established, but can be a great way to earn income if you're able to produce good quality work quickly. I believe this is a major (perhaps the major) income source for True Valhalla, who is quite open about his income and methods.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Kingdom Rush is a single-player game and they made it with extra purchasable content - like few extra maps, heroes. The times it was a browser only game. I guess they made enough money out of it to produce mobile version and sequels.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement