🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

General Advice

Started by
6 comments, last by stonerose 22 years, 6 months ago
Hi all, Hopefully I''m posting this on the right board. I''ve just started studying IT and have to present a flowchart showing the steps involved in the creation of a PC game (from inception to completeion). I''ve contact a few games companies, but understandably they are too busy to help. If anyone could give me some info or at least point me in the right direction, I would be grateful.
Advertisement
in this months issue of develop http://www.developmag.com theres is an article on an organic devlopment process. it was written by someone at http://www.bigbluebox.com

if you check out the news on there website youll find a link to a powerpoint presentation of a speech given at the GDCE that may give you a little bit more info.
One of the biggest and main steps is the Game design, you can spend MONTHS if not years on this step alone.

Once everything is designed, the enxt step would be to possibly get a team together or try and sell the design to some Game Development companies, it really depends on what you what to do.

Once that is done you start the development, starting with the foundation on which everything is going to start, perhaps this may be a "game loop" which from there calls the different functions that the game will need to process.

Then from there you have the testing, then more development, etc etc.

If you want a detailed explanation, searched for some articles through the several good game development sites, like this one.
Sorry about that, must of pressed Reply twice.

Edited by - Darjk on December 3, 2001 10:31:10 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone.
A good book on the subject is Game Architecture and Design. It is a pretty good introductory in how games are created. The name is misleading, there aint much on game architecture, but there is a whole lot on design and process.
He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.
I''ll second shaft''s recommendation of the book "Game Architecture and Design," which provides an excellent overview of the modern game development process. Also, Darjk makes a good point in saying that game design is the most important step in game development.

I''ll add that PLAYING games (start to finish) is actually an important part of the process of developing games, ! Only dedicated game players will really understand what other game players want in a new game. I''m working to grow a game studio within my company, and I know people who work at a variety of game studios. I''ve visited various local studios (Sinister Games, Interactive Magic before it basically died, Epic Games, Timeline before it basically died), and in all of these studios there are people (developers, designers, artists) who play games all the time. During work hours, late nights during the week weekends, frequent LAN parties. Playing games during development and design just feeds the imagination and provides motivation to succeed. Its necessary to stay focused, strange but true. Game studios very often don''t like to hire people who do not play games.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Perhaps the number of failed game houses made up of people who played games all the time is indicative of something, neh?

DavidRM
Samu Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement