🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

ESRB & Mobile Games

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 5 years, 11 months ago

So, this might sound stupid, but...

Is an ESRB rating required to upload a mobile game to Google Play Store, Apple App Store, or Amazon Appstore? If it's not is there any benefit to doing so?

Thanks for your answer, in advance.

Advertisement

Requirements depend on the platform. Each of those platforms you named may have their own requirements, so that's where to check on that. Offhand, though, I don't recall seeing ESRB ratings on the App Store, but I have observed that I am not particularly observant. ?

As for benefit. Different audience segments draw conclusions (positive/negative) about ratings. Parents and grandparents may decide not to buy a game for young child if the rating is too high. Hardcore gamers might be turned off by a family-friendly rating. Those are just two segments, all I can think of offhand, where a rating might matter as to buying decision. You need to know which segments matter to your business, and satisfy that constituency. 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement