🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

First Timer

Started by
4 comments, last by NeverWing2 5 years, 10 months ago

Pretty sure I'm in the right place. If not I do apologise.

I'll keep this short. My goal is to create a MUD, a text based MMORPG. I already have my idea fleshed out, but here at the first step i seem to have hit a roadblock >.> So what I'm asking, is what do I do next? What's the patrh I need to follow? All I know is at some point I'll need to find/make a server to host it.

I do know a little coding in html, and in C++, but not much. The online tutorials for the latter just dont seem to be sinking in, so if anyone has any recommendations on that as well it would be appreciated.

Advertisement

To make a MUD you can learn almost any language you want. Java, C# and Python is the ones I see mostly used for networking, so I recommend sticking with one of these, They are all easier than C++.

Because it is text based, you don't need a engine. Instead just look up things like "Sending string via socket" and basic stuff like that. I recommend searching "Python text multiplayer game" on Google.

29 minutes ago, Brian Kirmse said:

I already have my idea fleshed out, but here at the first step i seem to have hit a roadblock.

What roadblock did you hit?  What is preventing you from moving forward?

There are plenty of free and open source MUD and MUSH engines to work with if you want to leverage one of those. Or you can write your own, the concepts are not particularly difficult and it serves as the core of nearly all online games these days.

I would recommend an existing MUD construction toolkit/language/library.

Try Evennia or perhaps Ranier?

http://www.evennia.com/

http://ranviermud.com/

Regarding hosting, you can sign up for the free one-year trial of Amazon Web Services Ealistic Compute Cloud (EC2) and get a T.micro instance to install Linux on and run your MUD.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

I hope you don't mind me following this thread. I want a good read regarding MUD construction too.

NeverWing2

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement