Reputation points

Started by
27 comments, last by Gnollrunner 4 years, 10 months ago

I just got -6 reputation points and i have absolutely no idea why.

https://www.gamedev.net/profile/262068-acosix/

Here is my profile link which shows where the negative points came from-or which posts, if you want.

I know how the reputation points system works, but only technically(i.e. thumbs up/thumbs down), but I got no idea how I could get -6 points in one day.

Advertisement

Simple answer:

In the lower right corner of each comment is a button, where you can up- or downvote a comment. The negative points came from other users, who didn't like your responses for whatever reason. 

But revisiting some of your downvoted comments:

Well a class is made  for making an object. A struct can not be an object.

Well whole idea is to learn the standardized way of making objects, the way it was intended to be used when C++ was designed?

About class naming. Use /* */ at the start of the code file. Describe what is each class used for.

Another naming convention is to use // comments before each class and describe per-class what is it used for.

I think the problem is that you are telling people, they have to do stuff in a certain way, while they don't.  Many things can be done differently and there is no reason to get religious about a certain way. If it wasn't your intention you should make clear, that you only give a recommendation and not saying: "This is the one and only way"

Apart from up- and downvotes, here is a link about how the reputation system works:

Greetings

Obviously, saying "This be my way and you mortals be bow before it!" would be a waste of time.

Guys I don't want to go off-topic, but I already know about the 4 buttons(3 expanded from 1) in the lower-right corner of the post.

Also I just got +1 reputation point so that's a start.

Thanks for replies.

Speaking as one of those who downvoted, it was because to my knowledge, some of your posts were flat out incorrect. Consider that other beginners may read your post in the future, and end up getting incredibly confused. So the downvotes give an indication that 'this information may be questionable'. Whereas when people jump in with great information that really helps they normally get one or 2 upvotes.

This is peer review, on the whole it's a great thing, which is why it has been used in e.g. academia for hundreds of years.

In the other thread you told me I should comment my classes.  That's really basic advice you would give a noob. I kind of thought you might be trolling me, but I wasn't sure.  I responded with a joke ..... BUT ..... I haven't down voted you at all.  I see now that you are probably a bit new at this..... I only tend to down-vote for really extreme stuff but others aren't so kind.  This is just kind of a heads up so you know. On the interment when you just have text,  people's intentions aren't always so clear and sometimes things are taken the wrong way.

@lawnjelly Thanks for clarification man. Yes, constructive criticism is top stuffz. I learnt a lot from both thumbs up and thumbs down votes(not as-in how they work, but the votes cast on my posts). And if you read my later post in the same topic, you'll see it was my opinion, Hence the confusion.

@Gnollrunner I have been coding for 20 years. I was just asking if you can give me some clarification, on what a certain class represents(in this example comments, but you could really just reply and use a post as opposed to just copying snippets of code and commenting - and yes, access to post editing is based by time as well as "Moderating" access-as in you can't use editing after certain time has elapsed since it's been posted).  I'm not trying to say a class should always represent something, more like what is the "functionality" of the class, if any.

1 hour ago, Acosix said:

@Gnollrunner I have been coding for 20 years. I was just asking if you can give me some clarification, on what a certain class represents(in this example comments, but you could really just reply and use a post as opposed to just copying snippets of code and commenting - and yes, access to post editing is based by time as well as "Moderating" access-as in you can't use editing after certain time has elapsed since it's been posted).  I'm not trying to say a class should always represent something, more like what is the "functionality" of the class, if any.

Well, I have you beat by about 18 years. ha, ha....... In any case if you are getting down votes and your intentions are good, it means people aren't happy about your posts for whatever reason, and perhaps you should change something.  For instance I think nearly every serious programmer and especially every C++ programmer knows who Stroustrup is and about his books, so informing people about him does make you sound like a beginner.  I wouldn't have guessed you had 20 years experience just based on that.

In any case it's not a big deal. Sometimes people say something unpopular and get down voted.  It happens to me on occasion. However if it becomes a trend, then it's something you need to analyze.

Am in agreement with Gnollrunner. I don't think people want to be mean by a downvote in that circumstance, it's more to reread it and consider how it sounds 'you have to do things like this'. One of the reasons for the success of c++ is that there are many many different ways of approaching the same problems. The language gives you tools, it doesn't force you to work in one particular way.

And don't worry we've all made posts which in retrospect could have been worded better. :) 

Often times I end up spending 15 mins writing a reply on here, then read it through one final time before posting, and realise I don't know what I'm talking about, and delete it. :D In a lot of cases, all it takes is to write 'in my experience, it can be a good idea to do blah' or 'in my opinion' to change the tone. Then if someone comes up with something you hadn't thought of, you don't end up digging yourself in a hole.

On 6/30/2019 at 12:29 AM, Acosix said:

Obviously, saying "This be my way and you mortals be bow before it!" would be a waste of time.

To be honest, I found adding humor to the posts (and not just to the posts - but also generally to any point where you want to provide some information) quite good. Of course you must not overdo it.

If you want to avoid getting down voted - try doing answer in the neutral manner giving as much information as possible (describing why/how something works, or doesn't work). And add a personal opinion in additional paragraph - separated and clearly stating that this is your own view.

Trying to do this will result in posts taking more time to write (as @lawnjelly stated - it can be good 15 minutes for answer), but they will have more value for community - it is about quality of posts, not quantity.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement