🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Palm & Windows CE market?

Started by
27 comments, last by Jester101 22 years, 2 months ago
Right now, I think that game development for a handheld is just for a hobby, but the technology is getting more powerful, whether your talking about a Microsoft PocketPC handheld such as the Compaq iPaq or a Palm OS handheld such as the Sony Clie. On gamedev, there is a programmer (I believe his name is Pierre) who has a developed a PocketPC version of OpenGL he calls PocketGL. You might want to check that out. It''s pretty cool.
Advertisement
By the way, that Anonymous Poster was me

Edem Attiogbe
Edem Attiogbe
Hi Jester,
I think the reson you did not get much of a reply is that the PocketPC developers have their own active message boards so they don''t come here to discuss things. I use gamedev regularly for info but today I am posting for the first time.

There are many developers (companies & shareware) bringing out titles and with the PocketPC now running fast enough to do reasonable 3D ( quake has been ported as have various other PC games ) the results are pretty good.

PocketPC is catching Palm up very quickly in units sold & the number of devices is growing fast. The capabilities are now in advance of Palm by a very long way ( I own both Palm & CE devices & have compilers for both )

Now that all manufacturers are using one chip ( Strongarm as in the iPaq ) people are starting to look at assembler to get speed.

See www.pocketmatrix.com for an example of a site with active dev discussion.

Regards

Ian

ps: I just do shareware for fun & have had many hundreds of registrations this year
Just read the orther replies. Personally I don''t want a ''real'' OS to appear instead of CE on PocketPCs. Currently the PocketPC has instant on with apps still there, automatic wake up for reminders, almost no crashing ever etc so Windows CE is miles ahead of big windows in many ways.

Re the size/complexity of games most are shooters & pretty short play but my own PocketPC game Space Treker is played for hours at a time by some people and there are other complex titles out there. So long as the program is designed for the interface then it works fine.

btw: I find it really annoying when I touch my laptop screen & nothing happens
"Hundreds" of registrations!? That''s pretty good for a PC game, let alone a PocketPC game. Is that for Space Treker?

One thing I have to take issue with though, is your statement about WinCE being "miles ahead" of other Windows OSes... the original WinCE core was actually stripped from the Windows NT source tree! It may have gained some reliability be stripping out nearly all of the real features, but it''s certainly not ahead of the game as far as Windows is concerned. Instant-on is certainly nice though.
The CE and Palm markets have collapsed. In September/October it was still one of the hottest things and sales topped 5000 units a month of simple shareware collections in a store like CompUSA, but in November sales for these 2 formats hit a wall.

I strongly suggest anyone considering to get into developing for either Palm or CE not to give up his/her day job...
this may seem like a silly question, but do you see Palm/CE as a competitor to nintendo''s gameboys anytime in the future? reading through the replies it seems like these "handheld PCs" have more power than the gameboy.

just curious.

- jeremiah
http://fakemind.com
- jeremiah http://fakemind.com
Wow, Mr. Rhodes. This is a first, my point not being contested. What an...odd...thing. Anyway, the new Apple iPod''s hard drive will soon be in PDAs, supposedly. 5GB of space in a hand-sized device? Sign me up.

(On another note, Civ III has stolen my life. Help.)
Sqeek.
quote: Original post by Anonymouse Poster
Wow, Mr. Rhodes. This is a first, my point not being contested. What an...odd...thing. Anyway, the new Apple iPod''s hard drive will soon be in PDAs, supposedly. 5GB of space in a hand-sized device? Sign me up.

Call me Graham. Age is irrelevant to me here, and I don''t feel like I''m a Mr. anyway, .

I really want one of these high-end Compaq iPaq''s, but I may wait another generation (12 months) to see if the hard drives start making an appearance.

quote: Original post by Anonymouse Poster (On another note, Civ III has stolen my life. Help.)

Sorry, can''t help here. A buddy of mine is in the same situation. I think he''s up to year 2150 or something like that.

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
2150, the game ends at 2050 though ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement