Are there tools for automated collision-mesh generation from 'user-facing' meshes

Started by
2 comments, last by brebarth221 4 years, 5 months ago

I was looking for tools that take a in-game mesh as input and that help me generating simple convex collision meshes (or box meshes, ...) as output. Couldn't find much (anything really) in the search engines, so wanted to make sure. Does anyone know such tools? A tool that does this would be my best case scenario.

Failing that, as I understand, there is a body of papers that I found.. In particular RANSAC approaches seem interesting. And papers I found via terms like

"mesh approximate decomposition to primitives"

Has anyone tried implementing automated collision meshes from in-game meshes? Does it work well for you?

Any other leads / opinions on this, would be appreciated. i.e. "Don't even try..." , "Handmade collision meshes are still, currently industry standard", because I am new to this whole area, and don't know much.

Thanks!

Advertisement

https://godotengine.org/article/godot-3-2-adds-support-convex-decomposition

https://github.com/kmammou/v-hacd

I personally wouldn't use these though, to quote yourself "Handmade collision meshes are still, currently industry standard" .. or maybe approximating with some geometry primitives like sphere / box / capsule combinations via iteration to a best solution. Preferably with some kind of symmetrical options because asymmetry is just gross (unless required). :)

@lawnjelly Thanks. What's your reason for preferring handmade? I guess handmade using box/sphere/capsule primitives results in faster collision point generation, when compared to using automatically obtained convex collision meshes (more vertices). Any other reasons?

>or maybe approximating with some geometry primitives like sphere / box / capsule combinations via iteration to a best solution.

Yes, I was going to use primitive shapes only (probably boxes), if I'd be making my own auto-collision gen. Maybe ellipsoids.

Asymmetry as unwanted side-effect would indeed be very annoying..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement