Highlight to quote support on any page that supports comments

Started by
2 comments, last by Drew_Benton 4 years, 2 months ago

In the Forums section of the site, you can highlight text in a thread and get a Quote popup block that then allows you to easily quote in a reply. You can easily do this multiple times to cherry pick a bunch of things to include in your reply without the hassle of manually copying and pasting, as was the case in certain older versions of the forums.

This feature is an amazing QoL feature that I love. Perhaps it could be improved to include a link to where it came from, but that's a minor improvement.

However, it's not supported on any of the other parts of the site, such as blogs, tutorials, and news, so I'd like to suggest adding support to it to any page that supports comments.

Advertisement

Definitely the intent is to add this to the other parts of the site, but I don't think it's in the backlog yet so I'll add it if not.

Drew_Benton said:
include a link to where it came from

To clarify, for example, if I quote from your post in the thread then the quote box above includes a link to jump back to your post?

Admin for GameDev.net.

khawk said:
To clarify, for example, if I quote from your post in the thread then the quote box above includes a link to jump back to your post?

If that's doable for forum quotes, that'd be a great implementation of it certainly, but wouldn't be applicable as-is to the non-forum sections., so I'm not all-or-nothing on that specifically. At minimal, just a link to the page where the quote came from.

For example:

khawk said:
Just a heads up a few days in advance: GameDev.net launched to the public on June 15, 1999.

I can pull quotes from different threads and use them in a reply, but the person reading the quote might want to know at least the general page where the quote came from. In this case: https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/702793-gamedevnet-will-be-20-years-old-on-june-15/

Having something to at least lead back to the source would be really useful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement