RSS import broken again?

Started by
11 comments, last by Tape_Worm 2 years, 5 months ago

So I just noticed that my blog/journal/whatever it's called stopped importing from my RSS feed. Just wondering if that system is down or something?

Advertisement

I started looking into this and should have a fix soon.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Took a while, but it looks like your site is rejecting with robots.txt. Trying a workaround..

Edit: Failure, 403 trying to access. Not much information from your server other than no permissions. All the other feeds are successful.

Admin for GameDev.net.

OK, thanks for looking into it.

I'll see what I can do on my side.

So, it looks like, for some unfathomable reason, gamedev's IP was blacklisted on my site. I've removed the entry, and we'll see how it goes.

@khawk

Are you able to hit my site now? I've removed the blacklist entry last night, so it should be good to go. However, I'm not seeing any updates yet.

Tape_Worm said:

@khawk

Are you able to hit my site now? I've removed the blacklist entry last night, so it should be good to go. However, I'm not seeing any updates yet.

The service worker for this was stuck, but it's running again now. Unfortunately it's 403 still.

Edit: This is calling for a ‘status’ in the blog settings…

Admin for GameDev.net.

Yeah, a status notification in the settings would be really helpful.

In the meantime I'll keep on digging to see why it can't connect. I'm able to bring up the rss feed with no problem from my machine, so I expect there's something else blocking everything.

So, I've gone through the site logs and the only thing I see is this:

"34.70.220.153 - - [24/Nov/2021:17:00:00 -0600] "GET /?feed=atom HTTP/1.1" 406 226 "-" "Mozilla/5.0" tape-worm.net"

I'm not sure if that's the IP of the rss fetcher or not.

I have tried my feed on newsblur and it comes through just fine.

Tape_Worm said:

So, I've gone through the site logs and the only thing I see is this:

"34.70.220.153 - - [24/Nov/2021:17:00:00 -0600] "GET /?feed=atom HTTP/1.1" 406 226 "-" "Mozilla/5.0" tape-worm.net"

I'm not sure if that's the IP of the rss fetcher or not.

I have tried my feed on newsblur and it comes through just fine.

I'm not sure how newsblur is pulling the feed - maybe they have more custom code for edge conditions or maybe they fake as a browser, but this is the message returned in the logs with the 406:

'<h1>Not Acceptable!</h1><p>An appropriate representation of the requested resource could not be found on this server. This error was generated by Mod_Security.</p>

The error itself is commonly due to a request with an Accept that the server doesn't like.. pretty sure there isn't anything that should be a problem here:

application/atom+xml,application/rdf+xml,application/rss+xml,application/x-netcdf,application/xml;q=0.9,text/xml;q=0.2,*/*;q=0.1

Found this to be relevant.. I don't want to fake the user agent but may try it if the next iteration doesn't work: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57417799/i-call-api-from-python-i-get-the-response-406-not-acceptable​

I'm trying a few other workarounds. It's challenging with all the other feeds working and no obvious pattern. Very well could be a mod_security setting filtering certain traffic out.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement