Are the maps in the 'among us' game 3d or 2d?

Started by
6 comments, last by CybearTron 2 years ago

Hello, I am Math - Computer Science student. I want to make a game like 'among us' or ‘goose goose duck’ games and I want to know something. Are 3d or 2d maps used in this games ?

Advertisement

Probably either will work, but I think you're starting at the wrong end. Both 2D and 3D are widely available, so there is no technological barrier.

You may thus want to ask that question from game-design perspective. What things can you add to make the game more fun in 2D or in 3D?

(The game is at the central stage, technology is for enhancing the presentation.)

Fun fact is that it is both. Movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N795ZNruIDM

It is a 3D world with many 2D assets. They are layered and shown in a 3D game engine. Likely the navigation is also 2D (a flat navigation area like a map) in the 3D world.

Mixed 2D/3D environments have been common since before the beginning of full 3D worlds. Originally it was because 3D hardware was limited, then because mixing gave great art options, and it remains useful for many systems where 2D pieces are easier, more efficient, or just provide some features the design or implementation prefer.

Thank you guys. İt is looking a little complicated but i will try.

It's all smoke and mirrors. Just like you can draw a realistic 3D building at a flat sheet of paper, you can also make pixel-art that looks 3D but in fact it's just a weirdly shaped flat image.

Don't let your eyes fool you ?

?? İ will not let. Thank you again <3

I believe that among us has a 2d environment but it might have a 3d environment.

Actually I think the way the game implements the environment is by having a background 2d world where you have these objects that have a collision and a priority over the other objects like the player. It might be a bit overwhelming at once but let me try to explain.

among-us-gameplay - Mobile Gaming Hub

Let's take that image. Now there is the green player called barf there. Lets draw barf in paint.

(Pardon my bad drawing). Now we have a base figure. Now there is a player in the black called chump. Lets draw chump.

Sorry its weird. But in the game, you have the colours and render priority. Like lets say in graphics programs, you have layers. So these are like layers with the player at a low priority based on the distance. If barf comes a position in front of chump, they are drawn before chump.

Now you can also set up collisions for like the boxes in a way that it feels like it is a 3d object. Old games did this all the time!! Like pokemon and all!! Or you could just add a 3d environment like others said like in Paper Mario.

Anyways, thanks for listening and please pardon my drawing!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement